Random Chit Chat

I dont know what people have against PowerPC. The architecture of a processor isn't proportional to its performance, or anything... it's just designed differently!

I dont know what people have against PowerPC. The architecture of a processor isn't proportional to its performance, or anything... it's just designed differently!

I think people get the idea that PowerPC (actually called "Power ISA" now - What's with that?) is some ancient relic that should've completely disappeared when Apple switched to x86. It's not. If you go look up the instruction set, there are numerous revisions, the most recent being in 2010. Completely new instructions are occasionally added. Besides, the current xbox is already using a PowerPC CPU, with the previous one being x86-based. Microsoft clearly made a business decision there and decided that PowerPC would be better for its purposes. Switching back just one generation later seems very unlikely, especially after the nightmare that was xbox 360 backwards compatibility. Besides, it really seems like a logical architecture to use for something like a console. There are less royalties and red tape than x86, it's supposedly easier to work with, and the games are written with the specific hardware in mind anyway, so compatibility with other architectures is a nonissue.

The instruction set of a CPU definitely does make a difference in its performance though. If there's a needed instruction that's missing, it becomes necessary to emulate that through a combination of the available instructions. This can really slow things down. It's really not a major issue with these architectures though.

Anyone here invest in the stock market?

I Have $500 Spare and why the hell not (Well, Aslong as it would be worthwhile..)!

Look into Forex Trading. The risks can be much less than investing in stock.

Come up with your own targets, start of with low Lot Sizes, watch your PIP's and don't get carried away.

So, due to my inability to locate a darkroom sink locally, and for a reasonable price, it looks like I'm going to have to build my own. I've looked at a few tutorials and build logs, and it looks like this is the most economical way to go about it. I don't have a whole lot of woodworking experience, but that looks like it'd be within the range of my capabilities. Anyway, I guess I was wondering if anyone here could give me some pointers. I'm going to do pretty much like in the guide, but I'm thinking about upsizing it to 12 feet wide x 30 inches long x 8 inches deep so I can eventually do 20x24 Ilfochromes and RA-4 prints. I doubt I'll go beyond 11x14 or 16x20 at first, but it'd be nice to at least have the option to go bigger.

Back
Top Bottom