Heat generated by the DC socket of HP laptop

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I was having an issue with getting power to the main board on a HP laptop I have. I have stripped down to the mobo and found that the DC contacts were loose on the board and therefore causing my connection problems.

However another problem I face is that the end of the plug that meets the DC jack is getting VERY hot ! so much so that the plastic end can start to melt.

I think that it may be caused my the universal adapter that i am using as the end plug dont fit in the socket 100% and is fairly loose.

Could it be this that is causing the heat due to the arcing of electricity between the gap of the plug and socket ?

I was having an issue with getting power to the main board on a HP laptop I have. I have stripped down to the mobo and found that the DC contacts were loose on the board and therefore causing my connection problems.

However another problem I face is that the end of the plug that meets the DC jack is getting VERY hot ! so much so that the plastic end can start to melt.

I think that it may be caused by the universal adapter that i am using as the end plug dont fit in the socket 100% and is fairly loose.

Could it be this that is causing the heat due to the arcing of electricity between the gap of the plug and socket ?

The universal adapter should have the same voltage as the laptop requires, maybe it's giving it to much..

Thanks for the reply,the adaptor is giving 19v at 4. something amps. The laptop needs 19v at 3. something amps. I was told that its ok that the amps is more but it should never be less.

The laptop would pull the current it needs. If it needs 3 amps, it will use 3 amps. Just because the power supply supplies 4 amps doesn't mean the laptop is getting that amperage.

Generally, where there's heat, there's resistance.

I think that it may be caused my the universal adapter that i am using as the end plug dont fit in the socket 100% and is fairly loose.

I think you answered your question. See if you can get an end plug that fits better. You want a nice tight fit for the best connection.

I have bought a charger specifically for this laptop that will be with me tomorrow so I shall let your know the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom