Power Supply

Bagzli

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

I need some help figuring out what kind of a power supply I need. I have this motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
and my power supplied got fried. I believe these is nothing wrong with the motherboard though, I could not find any fried capacitor's on the board so I am assuming it is still working fine. Can you guys tell me what kind of a power supply do I need.

This is my old power supply:
Newegg.ca - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply

I did not build this computer, bought it off of some guys for $200. So can anyone ether tell me what kind of a power supply i'm looking to buy or teach me how to tell cause i'm failing hard here.

Also last thing a bit off topic but this computer has been failing to start a lot, it wouldn't even get to BIOS screen. Any ideas why? To get it back on I would reset it few times till it finally starts. Thats how the power supply got fried, had some1 spam on/off the power switch...

Thanks for all the help,

Regards,

Pretty much any ATX power supply will work for you. Look for one with similar specifications, perhaps a bit more wattage. You do not want less wattage.

so ATX is a brand? and can somebody tell me what wattage does that motherboard require? I want to know exactly what i'm looking for and not buy wrong parts. Don't have the budget to get this wrong so can you be more specific?

ATX is not a brand, it is the form factor ( physical size) of your mother board.

You can go here Newegg.com - Recommended Power Supply Calculator. to input your computer specs to find what size power supply you require. I always add to it so I have room for future upgrades. Stick with a Corsair or Antec power supply.

You will need a 24 pin power supply for your motherboard although I think all power supplies probably come with 24 pin these days.

Pretty much any ATX power supply will work for you. Look for one with similar specifications, perhaps a bit more wattage. You do not want less wattage.

There are so many things wrong with this statement... I don't know if I even want to start on it.

More wattage does NOT equal better.

Quality is better than quantity. A $25 600 watt power supply will NOT be of the same quality as a $70 600 watt unit.

Ideally, most users systems are fine with about 650 watts for a single GPU quad core with 8GB of RAM and a hard drive or two. Only when you get into SLI/CrossFire, multiple drives and water cooling that you need more than that.

There are so many things wrong with this statement... I don't know if I even want to start on it.

More wattage does NOT equal better.

Quality is better than quantity. A $25 600 watt power supply will NOT be of the same quality as a $70 600 watt unit.

Ideally, most users systems are fine with about 650 watts for a single GPU quad core with 8GB of RAM and a hard drive or two. Only when you get into SLI/CrossFire, multiple drives and water cooling that you need more than that.

I never said more wattage is better. More wattage certainly couldn't hurt and would lay the foundation should you want to upgrade in the form of adding drives, video cards, overclocking, etc. What you don't want to do is replace a 500W PSU with a 300W unit. If you have a computer that you didn't build and the power supply goes bad, it's usually a good idea to replace it with one that has the same wattage. Personally, I like to use a power supply that has a little more wattage than I need so that it is not being stressed when the system is under load. A little headroom never hurt.

When I said that any ATX power supply would work, I was being very general. Any ATX power supply would work but different power supplies will give different results.

I absolutely agree that a $70 PSU will be of better quality than a $25 one.

Hope I clear up any misunderstandings.

so would it be possible to get some links on newegg.ca of power supplies that would do the job?

so ATX is a brand?
g.gif
g.gif

:facepalm:

ATX is not a brand, it is the form factor ( physical size) of your mother board.

You can go here Newegg.com - Recommended Power Supply Calculator. to input your computer specs to find what size power supply you require. I always add to it so I have room for future upgrades. Stick with a Corsair or Antec power supply.

You will need a 24 pin power supply for your motherboard although I think all power supplies probably come with 24 pin these days.

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

so would it be possible to get some links on newegg.ca of power supplies that would do the job?

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Back
Top Bottom