Problem connecting two computers through crossover cable?

zealkaiser

Beta member
I have two laptops both running Windows 7. I have connected them through a crossover cable and configured following settings
Laptop 1
IP - 192.168.0.2
Submask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Laptop 2
IP - 192.168.0.3
Submask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

I am unable to see the computers in Network locations. I also tried to ping but resulted in error showing Destination Unreachable.

Strangely when I tried the same settings in Ubuntu on same laptops it worked. I can easily ping to each other and can also transfer files through ssh and ftp. But on Windows they even not get connected.

I have tried disabling firewall but it didn't worked. The workgroup is same on both laptops.

Windows 7 is a bit tricky with that stuff. I haven't tried to connect two W7 machines with a cross over cable.. but I do know if one of them is in a homegroup (and not both) then it won't work. Go to the network and sharing center and delete the homegroup on both laptops. Unjoin and rejoin the workgroup on both laptops. If that doesn't work, create a homegroup on one laptop and join the other laptop to that home group. By this point you should be able to see them in the Network Locations just with them being connected to your wireless router.

I'll have you know, right now a client has an XP computer and W7 laptop. I can not get the W7 laptop to see the XP desktop or vice versa. I still have not been able to fix this and I've googled the hell out of it

Windows 7 is a bit tricky with that stuff. I haven't tried to connect two W7 machines with a cross over cable.. but I do know if one of them is in a homegroup (and not both) then it won't work. Go to the network and sharing center and delete the homegroup on both laptops. Unjoin and rejoin the workgroup on both laptops. If that doesn't work, create a homegroup on one laptop and join the other laptop to that home group. By this point you should be able to see them in the Network Locations just with them being connected to your wireless router.

I'll have you know, right now a client has an XP computer and W7 laptop. I can not get the W7 laptop to see the XP desktop or vice versa. I still have not been able to fix this and I've googled the hell out of it

Thanks for reply, but my laptops are not in homegroup indeed there are using public profile. I have also tried to create a homegroup in one laptop and joining other laptop to that homegroup but it didn't worked because on other laptop the homegroup is not even visible. Actually It's like they are not even connected because I cannot even ping to each other.

Back
Top Bottom