Help on powerline adapters!!!

shaun7584

Beta member
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum!

Ok so traditionally I've had a wireless network but I never like the lag I would experience. So I was thinking of trying a Netgear Powerline Network. My questions are:

1. How many computers can I connect? (I have 3 PCs and 1 PS3.)

2. Do I just plug one adapter into a power outlet near each computer and xbox and run an ethernet cord from the adapter into the PC/xbox?

3. Internet -> Cable Modem -> Router -> Netgear Powerline adapter ->
Does the Netgear adapter thats placed "after" the router need to be a special or different adapter then the other ones?

4. Having all 4 items (3 PCs and 1 Xbox) all traveling through the same electrical wiring cause any lag, packet loss, etc?

I don't have any experience with this so I'm going off of my gut feeling. Hopefully someone who knows more can confirm or disprove my thoughts.

1: I think as many as your router can assign addresses to

2: I would assume that's how it would work yes.

3: All the adapters should be the same. The one right after the router should be no different than the rest.

4: There shouldn't be any lag or abnormal amounts of packet loss. THis can vary if your have poor wiring in your house or multiple grounds (since they use the ground wire)

Again just to stress the point, these are my gut feelings and I have no fact to prove any of it :)

He is exactly right on all points. I got on here today to ask about powerline adapters myself.

I would not buy these for my house. The way wireless is now, it's super fast anyway. I have a Cisco E4200. If you have a good wireless adapter you'll be transfering faster than a powerline adapter will take you.

The powerline adapter signal will degrade based on the wireing in your house. There are two different adapter technologies. If you're searching for a "deal" on a set of powerline adapters, I suggest going to Howstuffworks.com and looking at it. You don't want to buy the old ones :p

The reason I'm interested in them is because I have a barn about 50-60 yards away from my house. I don't want to set up a bridge, I would rather "powerline it" straight across. (The barn is more like an apartment). I'm fairly certain it won't work. I don't want to explain the complications of our grid if I don't need to!

I want to have at my house:

CiscoE4200 (for wireless gaming/streaming moves/wireless printers) > Powerline Adapter

Barn: Powerline Adapter > Another E4200 to wirelessly stream movies/games from my house.

I'm going to buy some adapters today. If you can wait a week I'll get you an update and show you for sure your set up will work ;)

-------
Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-684UB Dual Band Wireless N Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 450Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2-RADIUS, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, WPS

It has four eggs because a few DoAs gave it a one egg. 450MB/s is more than enough to stream.

Back
Top Bottom