Unsure about where to install a gfx card

Deox

Solid State Member
Right well the deal is if I was to buy a new graphics card I wouldn't have a clue where to put it, my computer is just a cheap one that my parents bought from pc world for about £300 and the case is quite small. This is what the back and the inside of my pc looks like :
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The pictures are pretty shit quality but meh.
I thought that graphics cards were installed near the back of the pc but I cant see where it would go. On the picture of the inside of my pc there is a slot on the right side that kind of looks like where the graphics card would go, it has a little white clip at one end of it as well. Would this be where the card would go?

Also if my computer actually can have a new graphics card does anyone have any recommendations, I'm looking for something cheap but good enough to run most games on medium quality. Thanks to anyone that replies; in
CPU
Intel Pentium E6700 @ 3.20GHz
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Packard Bell imedia S1850 (CPU 1)
Graphics
SMB2230H (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset
Hard Drives
977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADX-22TDHB0 ATA Device (SATA

EDIT - Just found out that this pc a measly 250W power supply... :S would I even be able to use a new graphics card with that?

See if you can remove the PSU and get a better picture of the inside of the case. Unfortunately with that small of a PSU, you're very limited on what GFX card you can put in there.

What's the red box for? That's not where a graphics card would go, by the way.

Looking at the manual for this system (Here: ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/CS265B00/SG_PB_iMdS1850.pdf ) you've got two problems.

In your top picture, it looks like you have two expansion slots on the back of the system - the top one being taken up with what looks like a Wireless card (the wireless antenna nub is my guess... ) and then the second slot below that which should line up internally with the PCI Express x16 slot.

So technically, you can upgrade the video in your system, but with a power supply rated at 245 watts, your options are *extremely* limited.

You could look at the Radeon HD 4650 family for use with your current power supply. Considering the PSU is a Flex ATX derived formfactor and they generally top out at 250 watts, you're pretty much stuck here.

Back
Top Bottom