CD-ROOM Boot Priority... No Medium Please help

megadeth123

Solid State Member
Hi, for the last couple of days, the error 'CD-ROOM Boot Priority... No Medium' has come up when I boot my computer. I'm running Vista. I haven't installed anything recently neither do I have anything in the disk tray. I tried re-installing vista with these CD's I had from Packard Bell (they are recovery CD's) they don't work, the percentage of how much it has recovered says at zero and doesn't go up for however long I leave it. None of the cables inside seem to be loose. I have been in the BIOS, I have set the Hard Drive to 1st Boot Priority but nothing changes. I was looking through the BIOS when I saw that 'Drive A is disabled' does this change anything?

The A drive would be the floppy drive, if you have one (which is unlikely nowadays); so that isn't your problem.

You may have a malfunctioning CD-ROM drive.

First question, are you able to skip over the error and boot into windows?
Second question, are the recovery disks for this computer or a different one?

I would do 1 of 2 things. Either go into the BIOS and disable the CD Rom or open the case and unplug the power to the CD Rom and then see what happens when you boot up.

First question, are you able to skip over the error and boot into windows?
Second question, are the recovery disks for this computer or a different one?

I would do 1 of 2 things. Either go into the BIOS and disable the CD Rom or open the case and unplug the power to the CD Rom and then see what happens when you boot up.

No and yes. I've done what you said and it still doesn't work, it's the same exact problem.

Disconnect the power from the CD-ROM drive, then go in the BIOS, make sure that only the HDD can boot, and nothing else.
Then, go in the Main setup (where you find the date and time) and make sure that there isn't any drives detected other than your hard drive. If there is, switch them to Auto or off. Doing so should resolve it.

Disconnect the power from the CD-ROM drive, then go in the BIOS, make sure that only the HDD can boot, and nothing else.
Then, go in the Main setup (where you find the date and time) and make sure that there isn't any drives detected other than your hard drive. If there is, switch them to Auto or off. Doing so should resolve it.

When I go into the BIOS on my computer, my hard drive doesnt show up, I've checked the connections and they're all fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no wonder why you're getting the CD-ROM no medium error, the hard drive's not detected :p

Ok, unplug the power and IDE/SATA cable from the hard drive and unplug the IDE/SATA cable from the motherboard. Replug it back in (a little slant is enough for it to screw up).

After, go back in the BIOS and see if it's detected. If it isn't, make sure that all channels are set to be automatically detected. If they are, looks like your hard drive took a bad hit.

Back
Top Bottom