I overheated my processor..Need some suggestions

Hvc801

Baseband Member
So, I posted up here about a couple weeks ago talking about how I purchased a new water cooled corsair heat-sink (H80) and was looking to get some more juice from my Core 2 Due e4600@2.4Ghz. I had OC'd it on air to 2.7Ghz and was hoping to get to 3.0 with this new heat-sink. The block wasn't seated properly on the chip and I booted; had it running for about 4/5 minutes before CRASH. I re-boot into bios and notice CPU temp @ 103°C(207+/-°F) i quickly shut down and inspect it, fix it, and all was running good @ 27°C. Awesome.

I didn't wanna push it so much, thinking I did some damage, but clocked it at a nice 2.87Ghz. Was running good until I started playing swtor. CRASH. I lowered clock, and still crash. I then said, screw it, I'll just put it back to factory specs thinking i did do damage. Everything runs fine now. I even ran memtest86 to test my memory and it came back no errors. today i get bsod..... "Memory Management".

I'm going to test every RAM stick individual, see if one of them may be bad. If not, is it possible my cpu has suffered significant damage? I heard that these proc's can handle quite a bit, but this one is about 6/7 years old lol.

Any other suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated. I thank all y'all for taking the time out to help. Thank you, thank you.

The Intel CPUs are pretty good and preventing themselves from overheating. It might be possible that the CPU was damaged but not likely.

I checked all ram sticks in each dimm socket and they all boot and run fine.. I'm starting to think it is my proc.... Luckily these lga775's aren't much money lol. I'm thinking about just getting a better one anyways.

What I'd do is to reseat the RAM, put some new thermal paste on the CPU, in case you didn't redo it when it had to be reseated. Keep CPU/GPU/RAM stock speeds and see what it does. Make sure you got good enough ventilation as well.

lhuser said:
What I'd do is to reseat the RAM, put some new thermal paste on the CPU, in case you didn't redo it when it had to be reseated. Keep CPU/GPU/RAM stock speeds and see what it does. Make sure you got good enough ventilation as well.

That's exactly what I did. And that's how I eventually got the bsod when doing normal web browsing. I'm Gunna find a good Intel process stress tester, mobo stress tester and see what results I get. Until then, ill start saving some extra cash lol.

Memory management. Its not the memory. I tested each one individually and with memtest86. I have yet to see if I can find a mother board stress tester for my eVGA 780i and I have to ready this Intel stress tester I've recently downloaded. I'm almost sure its the proc... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's all that it is.

Intel CPUs can hit 100C before they do any thermal management, so 103 is not that big a deal. It is possible however that because you were overclocking so much that you actually damaged power regulation on the motherboard itself. I'm pretty sure the CPU is fine as well.

Hmmm... I was told that this 780i is good with setting voltages. Didn't think much of that. I can't seem to find any kind of motherboard testing application to test out this eVGA. If damage was done would I need a new board????

Back
Top Bottom