wireless router

Steven Crompton

Beta member
Hello

this is my first post on this forum so i hope someone can help !

I have just bought a new laptop and router and i need help for two things First how do i get my aol onto my new laptop and second how do i set up my new router so i can use my laptop wireless my new router is a Netgear DGN 2200

THANK YOU
:eek:

The easiest way is to call your ISP (Internet Service Provider). They will have all the details you need and their tech support should be able to walk you through everything you need.

My wireless network is to establish a center in my home. I hope in my garage, which is a separate building about 100 feet from my router (through the thick walls) work. I have an old Link system router to allow the weak link.

Set up the router in a convenient location so it's as close to devices that need to be connected to the router wirelessly as possible.

Make sure that wireless is enabled (you should find a wireless on/off button on the router panel - netgear dgn2200). Then from the wireless tab of the router config page, assign a SSID and save changes. Basically, you're good to go at this point but leaving the wireless network open and insecure is not a good idea.

Now with wireless network security, you have multiple options. There are numerous articles on this topic specifically but to save you the time; the most commonly used systems, specially for home networks are WEP and WPA2-PSK. You can use either but WPA2 has been proven to be a much more dependable pattern ever since introduced. I recommend that you use it instead of WEP.

I'm not going to get into the details one by one since you've asked a very general question and it would take hours.:whistling:

If you have any specific questions about the wireless network settings, I'd be happy to help but as long as you need a basic wireless network, this should suffice.

You can install the AOL desktop software by downloading the software from the internet Or by using the AOL set up file on your computer from a previous installation.

Back
Top Bottom