Question about anti-virus software

LouBrandt

Solid State Member
Hello,

I've just bought and setup a new Windows 7 computer. It came with McAfee. I don't know whether on this forum, you are permitted to recommend a good anti-virus software, but if you are, please do. Another question. Can loading more than one anti-virus/spyware/malware software cause a problem? Can they interfere with each other?

Thanks,
Louis

Yes, having more than one anti-virus program running at a time can cause problems.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my Windows machines. If you are willing to pay money, then Nod32 is pretty good. Avoid Norton's-- it's a resource hog.

I haven't used McAfee quite a few years, so I have no idea how well that engine works any more or how much in the way of resources it takes up.

I've been working IT for a long time now and the best way to protect a computer is common sense and a good firewall. PCTOOLS firewall plus will do it for you. With it you can stop damage or undesired operation by governing how programs access your system, kernel, and other apps. In this program it's called ESP and is very powerful in windows. If you install a new application or just execute a program it will monitor what resources are being accessed and prevent access until a user allows it. I have used infected programs without any problems because it won't give access to files that can do damage.
Antivirus from my experience causes more problems than preventing them.
I had a mate come to me one day telling me he couldn't get on the internet because of an infected system file, ping.exe was the target. Because his antivirus just puts it in a “vault” the exe becomes useless. If he had a firewall that wasn't windows basic firewall this would have been prevented. With a msg that stated. Program XXX wants to modify a system application “ping.exe” do you trust this application..YES or NO.. common sense would tell you no. but antivirus won't do that for you in most cases. Once you trust an application if it's smart enough it can do what it wants when it wants because antivirus looks for known attacks or code that causes problems. Firewalls just keep your systems integrity by permitting access to files on a need to basis.
Antivirus in my opinion is just as bad as a virus.

Because his antivirus just puts it in a “vault” the exe becomes useless. If he had a firewall that wasn't windows basic firewall this would have been prevented. With a msg that stated. Program XXX wants to modify a system application “ping.exe” do you trust this application..YES or NO..

Most anti-virus programs will allow you to go into the settings and change what happens when a "virus" is encountered. A program does what the user tells it to do. That doesn't make anti-virus programs bad. The user should always make sure that the program they install has the correct settings. Your average user should always have an anti-virus program.

Most anti-virus programs will allow you to go into the settings and change what happens when a "virus" is encountered. A program does what the user tells it to do. That doesn't make anti-virus programs bad. The user should always make sure that the program they install has the correct settings. Your average user should always have an anti-virus program.

anti-virus is used when the user doesn't have sufficient knowledge of computer programs and features. Speaking as an IT Manager now just been promoted yay for me, we do not use anti-virus software at all. If you get access to a sufficient firewall so you can permit or deny access to resources and files that's all a computer needs. There are programs that I have used that are so damage driven aka being a viruses if it were a person, I would shoot it in the face. But I would be happy for a person to run any program like this on my network because I manage a network firewall and a workstation firewall. All im trying to achieve here is to teach people that anti virus is for novas computer users. Anti virus will not stop a hacker, trust me. A fresh install of windows with just anti virus software is so easy to hack my sister could hack in.
Sorry to sound so negative towards ant virus but my best advice is to learn firewalls its your only hope.
Threadmark

anti-virus is used when the user doesn't have sufficient knowledge of computer programs and features. Speaking as an IT Manager...

I would think that an IT manager would use all the tools at his disposal, including local AV software.

Sure, firewalls can prevent external access to the machines, and some will even block malware calls out, but a firewall can't stop stupid user A from uploading malware to his local machine via USB drive. I don't see where even the most thorough of packet state inspection will prevent a worm from spreading itself to other machines on the local network, either.

Congratulations on the new job. This attitude you are displaying does not put you in a good light, though and it does not reflect well on this website which, let's be frank, is geared toward the novice computer user.

People can't learn firewalls overnight. A poorly implemented and managed firewall is just as bad as a default AV package coming with a new computer-- it gives the user a false sense of security and allows the bad guys to have their run of the system.

I would think that an IT manager would use all the tools at his disposal, including local AV software.

Sure, firewalls can prevent external access to the machines, and some will even block malware calls out, but a firewall can't stop stupid user A from uploading malware to his local machine via USB drive. I don't see where even the most thorough of packet state inspection will prevent a worm from spreading itself to other machines on the local network, either.
You're thinking of a networking firewall. From this statement I will re explain the concept. There are firewalls that are made to protect the operating system by governing kernel access as well as disk access. So if you had a usb in my office and tried to upload a virus you would be fired in a few hours because it detects usb drives and prevents execution if that file is accessing resources that could infect the workstation. There is a reason I am the it manager, its because I know what I'm talking about.
TM

Back
Top Bottom