Brand New To This

Hufto

Beta member
I've been in construction for about 12 years for the most part being a electrician and really starting to consider changing what i do. I would like to get into computers just not sure where to start. I'am not completely computer illiterate. I have some basic skill's on a computer have fixed some in the past. The more i research the more i get confused. If anybody can shed some light it would be much appreciated.

Exactly what would you like to be able to do?

Are you looking for a new job? As an electrician you should be able to land a job pulling wire for network installations and such.

Do want to build and repair computers? Or program them?

Ya Iam looking into a new job with computers. I would like to learn how to build and repair them, just not knowing if that would be a good job making decent money, and how much schooling that take's. Need a job with good benefits and a future. And where would I start???

Building/repairing computers probably won't pay anywhere near as much as a union electrician pulls down unless you own your own business and are pretty successful at it.

Regardless, you could try taking some classes at the local JC such as those leading to A+ certification. You could also start by building your own system and offer to build for friends/family. In addition, try asking around if anyone has any unwanted non-functioning computers you could tinker with to gain experience fixing or upgrading them.

Read. There are plenty of books and websites devoted to computer building/repairing (such as this one).

I've been messing with 'puters and worked in the tech business since 1975 and I read and learn new stuff everyday. Technology doesn't stand still.

Why would you want to change fields? I mean, you have a really good job as it is. Even if you really excel at computer repair, you would still have to start at the bottom (taking a huge pay cut along with it). Is your current job causing you health problems? That would be a different story....

There really isn't much money in building/repairing-- too many people handy with screwdrivers out there.

I'd do an assessment of the area and see what kind of computer industry jobs are out there and see if you can find a niche you can work your way into.

For example, if there is a factory that makes closed-circuit cameras (which are accessible by internet), then you could try to get a job there and learn your way up the food chain...

I do computer repairs as a hobby, I do get paid quite decent , it takes me about 1hour to repair hinches on a laptop and have it all back ready with-in 1hour, around 25pound I accept for that, that includes my labour and purchase for new hinches, their cheap on ebay, I think this is the cheap way to doing things, buy on ebay, repair computers and get paid.. just promote yourself with business cards, I don't personally think theirs alot in it but it's a nice little hobbie to earn a extra penny or two.

I learnt personally by just building a computer, I was 14, ever since I've gone from computers to laptops , laptops are way different from computer builds, and requires alot more patience and a good sense of knowledge, laptops are very tacky but it's better for you to know more about laptops since the new age is laptops, everyone has one now, not a system...

Back
Top Bottom