Windows Live Messenger always runs on boot

lhamil64

In Runtime
Hello everyone.
It's been a while since I've actually had to ask a question on here, but this issue has been driving me crazy for the past few months (especially since it seems so simple to fix, but nothings working!)
Basically, every time I boot up, Windows Live Messenger pops up. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of to disable it. I unchecked the option in WLM's settings, I've disabled it from MSConfig, I've looked in the registry, but it keeps popping up at startup.
I've googled around a bunch but everything that comes up is just all the basic ways of disabling it (that I've already tried).
I figured I"d post here and see if anyone knows of any other tricks I could try to stop it from running (other than uninstalling it completely, as I still use it occasionally).

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. Also, I have Soluto to manage my boot as well, and Windows Live Messenger shows up but in the "can't disable" section. It states that the "item has been removed from the boot but residues still remain." Where are these "residues" located so I can clean them up?
Another thing I'll mention, even though it probably doesn't make much of a difference, is that I run WLM in compatibility mode for Vista (so that the icon is in the tray instead of taking up taskbar space).

strange, I'd regedit but you've been their..

Try search the system for the files

did you try right click my computer/manage/service and applications/services look for msn and disable it in their maybe?

Uninstall/reinstall and see if you can then go about unchecking everything that will tell it to run at start up and see if it works.

I think I fixed the problem! I ended up using CCleaner to look in the startup items, and Windows Live Messenger was listed (but it was listed as not running on startup). To stop it from running on startup completely, I had to right click the entry and actually delete it and not just set it to "No." I thought that was a little strange that it still ran even though it was disabled, but deleting it fixed it :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

I guess I DIDN'T fix the problem... After finally rebooting again, Windows Live Messenger came back...
I looked in msconfig and it was enabled again, so I went to the corresponding registry entry and deleted it. Hopefully that fixed it. I'll post back if it happens again.

jmacavali said:
Uninstall/reinstall and see if you can then go about unchecking everything that will tell it to run at start up and see if it works.

If not try this.

I just tried this and there wasn't an option to disable it during the install. Although, I didn't try to completely uninstall it (I just used Add/Remove Programs and not anything like Revo Uninstaller). I tried going back in to the program after it was reinstalled and uncheck the box again but it still ran on boot.

Back
Top Bottom