GPU overheating?

PcGamer

Solid State Member
Okay so i got a brand new asus gtx 550 ti a cheaper model cuz its 192bit, when i run any 3D game i got temperatures up to 80 c now i made a hole in the bottom whit a pipe so all the hot air would flow out from the gpu and still getting up to 75 c at full work so now im wondering any ideas to cool it down? and is 75 c bad and will it minimize the life lenght of gpu? the gpu fan sounds pretty terrible at 75 to :D good i got my surround sound :D

Hey! i tried a deskop fan for fun but then the card got up to 80c :eek: but now i attached the new thermal compund and it runs at 70 c but could be better cuz the fan has a pretty bad noise at that temperature. I was looking at other heatsinks/fans for this gpu but they cost around 40$ and is it worth cuz thats half of the gpu price

80°C isn't bad for a GPU under load. I believe they will shut down somewhere in the 100°C range. If your worried about it, try running EVGA Precision. It will allow you to increase the speed of you GPU fan to help bring the temps down some.

Well yeah readed this card takes 120 c at max but the problem is now the fan noise :D if it keeps under 70 its fine but over 69 the fan starts going loud :D

Yea, the stock cooling fan does tend to get loud at speed. You do realize that hot air rises, so the "hole in the bottom whit a pipe" isn't really doing anything to draw the hot air out. Your best bet without spending a ton of money on a new video card cooler is to increase airflow through your case. You could attach a fan to that pipe or hole on the bottom to blow cool air onto the card, or if you case has a side vent, attach a fan there to blow cool air onto the card.

Hmm true words :3 Now im waiting for the fans to arrive in the mail then i gonna take a look at the airflow. :)

The stock cooler basically can't handle the heat when it is at load and you will need a aftermarket cooler for your GTX550.

Some cases have provisions for a fan in the side panel that blows directly on the graphics card(s). This has helped a bit in my situation.

Back
Top Bottom