Question about Malwarebytes

LouBrandt

Solid State Member
Hello,

I just purchased and installed Malwarebytes. My question is, does Malwarebytes run in the background (similar to an anti-virus program) or do I have to run it myself?

Thanks,
Louis

Malwarebytes (MBAM) will run in the background. Also, it IS an anti-virus as well as antimalware. I am pleased that you got the paid version because that means that you have real-time protection which is very good. Please note that the real-time protection runs constantly, but you should do regular (weekly) scans with it. One other thing that you can do if you haven't already is install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It is FREE, and it shouldn't conflict with MBAM. You can get it here:

windows.microsoft.com/mse

Also do weekly scans with that. Both will do a pretty good job protecting you WITHOUT having to do manual scans. But do weekly quick scans and monthly full scans to be safe.

Malwarebytes (MBAM) will run in the background. Also, it IS an anti-virus as well as antimalware. I am pleased that you got the paid version because that means that you have real-time protection which is very good. Please note that the real-time protection runs constantly, but you should do regular (weekly) scans with it. One other thing that you can do if you haven't already is install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It is FREE, and it shouldn't conflict with MBAM. You can get it here:

windows.microsoft.com/mse

Also do weekly scans with that. Both will do a pretty good job protecting you WITHOUT having to do manual scans. But do weekly quick scans and monthly full scans to be safe.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it very much. Since I posted, I have installed AVAST (a paid version), and I have installed "System Mechanic" (also a paid version). My understanding is (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that Microsoft Security Essentials is somewhat like System Mechanic, so I don't know whether I should have it since I already have System Mechanic.

Please advise.

Thanks again,
Louis

Well, I wouldn't combine Avast with Mbam, but if it doesn't give you problems then great. Just make sure that you are careful when using the internet. Common sense goes a long way. You cannot be made immune.

Well, I wouldn't combine Avast with Mbam, but if it doesn't give you problems then great. Just make sure that you are careful when using the internet. Common sense goes a long way. You cannot be made immune.

Well, I was under the impression that Malwarebytes was only an anti-malware software and not an anti-virus software. I must confess that I'm really not up on viruses, malware, spyware, etc. We didn't run any anti-virus software on our previous XP computer, but on this Windows 7 computer, we want to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks again,
Louis

Thanks again. One thing that I've noticed every time that I start to download a "free" piece of software (like Malwarebytes or Avast, etc.) I see messages that say that it will only be active for a month or so unless I buy it. So at this point, I've downloaded the "buy" versions of all of my "anti" software.

If I go to CCleaner, will I have the same situation, that is, will I be told that unless I buy it, it will only be active for a short time?

Thanks again,
Louis

CCleaner is free for personal use, period. It's not something that runs in the background and you won't get popups asking you to pay for it.

Well, you're probably right that I won't get messages asking me to pay for it, but so far, every "free" software that I've looked at tells me that unless I pay, I won't be able to use it for more than 30 days or so.

The easiest way to get a virus or malware, is to download and run all the "free" software you can get your hands on. For me, I don't use any antivirus software. In any case, all of the things that you have learned from this forum should protect you well.

Back
Top Bottom