Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suggestions

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

joejoe

Beta member
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I have perused Toms hardware's forums and this is what I came up with for my build. Please keep in my mind I am trying to get a cheap build that can handle moderate gaming without medium/high graphics settings. If you could please give me some suggestions about if what I have listed is crap that would be much appreciated. This is my first computer build ever. If you could also give me some tips on the actual building phase that would be great.

Hard drive:
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(Hard drive, Newegg)
Processor:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
(processor, Newegg.com)
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
(mobo, newegg.com)
PSU:
DiabloTek PHD650 ATX Power Supply - 650W, 140mm Fan, 20+4 Pin
(amazon, PSU)
Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
(video card, newegg.com)
RAM:
Patriot Gamer 2 Series Division 2 Edition DDR3 8 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 for Intel P67 Using Core i5 Core i7 Memory Modules PGD38G1600ELK (RAM, Amazon)
Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
(Case, Newegg)
Fans/other:
Trendnet TEW-643PI Wireless N PCI Adapter (wireless adapter, Tigerdirect.com
The only thing I think I am missing is the dvd/cd drive and I already have an external one from a net book my brother used.
Thanks

Hi Joejoe.

I've been researching a lot about building a new rig for myself lately. I've got a couple of suggestions for you.

HDD - I guess you went with a 500gb 16mb cache HD in the name of economy but if thats gonna be ur main drive get something with a higher cache. OR spend a bit and get a 40gb SSD for cache with the z68 SRT. You won't regret it.

PSU - Unless you plan to crossfire in the future, you don't need a 650W PSU. And don't go cheap on PSU. It's the heart of your computer. Get a 500W with 80plus BRONZE atleast. I personally like seasonic but OCZ, corsair, mushkin are all great choices.

RAM - This is where you can go cheap and not worry. 8GB 1600mhz can be had for under 50 bucks.

Other than that. Good MOBO (looks awesome), great CPU (get a cooler if u wanna OC that).

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I don't think I can afford an ssd and a hdd so im s.o.l for that plan, would a regular hdd work as a boot drive then use the other hdd for storage? As for the PSU, any suggestions?

Hi Joejoe.

I've been researching a lot about building a new rig for myself lately. I've got a couple of suggestions for you.

HDD - I guess you went with a 500gb 16mb cache HD in the name of economy but if thats gonna be ur main drive get something with a higher cache. OR spend a bit and get a 40gb SSD for cache with the z68 SRT. You won't regret it.

PSU - Unless you plan to crossfire in the future, you don't need a 650W PSU. And don't go cheap on PSU. It's the heart of your computer. Get a 500W with 80plus BRONZE atleast. I personally like seasonic but OCZ, corsair, mushkin are all great choices.

RAM - This is where you can go cheap and not worry. 8GB 1600mhz can be had for under 50 bucks.

Other than that. Good MOBO (looks awesome), great CPU (get a cooler if u wanna OC that).

I totally agree here

though with the Harddrive, you can just settle with what you have on your list and you could possibly get an SSD later on.

PSU really is the one of the most important things in a build, i will warn you to stay away from the cheaper brands like coolmax (700w psu for 60 dollars sounds nice except for when it frys yours mobo and cpu within 3 months (From personal experience)). go with a corsair, OCZ, Antec, thermaltake, even Rosewill has some good psu.

I also recommend reading the feedback of the parts you are getting on newegg. I found some of them to helpful

Ok, I am thinking the Antec VP450 but it does seem a little cheap, only $40 on Newegg.com, so I am little unsure.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Or quite possibly the BP500U

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I don't think I can afford an ssd and a hdd so im s.o.l for that plan, would a regular hdd work as a boot drive then use the other hdd for storage? As for the PSU, any suggestions?

Yes that hdd config is viable. As for the psu like i listed in my first post, there are many reputable companies that make PSUs. browse around a bit on the net. youtube is always a good unbiased source....for now anyway

Corsair 450W 80+ Bronze for 60bucks good reviews =D. I don't have any experience with this particular product but i do have a PSU from corsair thats been running strong for over a year now. check it out

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Back
Top Bottom