Thanks - Coming Soon

Did you bother to report the post? A neg rep or whatever would not help there. A mod could edit the post and send a message to the offender and that would be the end of it. A neg rep or comment would simply start a fire that would be a pita to put out.

Did you bother to report the post? A neg rep or whatever would not help there. A mod could edit the post and send a message to the offender and that would be the end of it. A neg rep or comment would simply start a fire that would be a pita to put out.

You've missed the point he was trying to make entirely.

You've missed the point he was trying to make entirely.

This.

In my supposed system neg. rep would not exist. You simply wouldn't give rep. to a person who isn't being exactly helpful. Don't get me wrong, part of that post IS helpful, but the last comment kind of puts everything else in question. When something like this happens and a second person replied to the post, by having public reputation the original poster would be able to give more weight to the post by the member with better reputation. Granted, for this system to work you'd need to implement reputation only in technical sections (aka not the Social Lounge).

edit: I did not bother to report the post because his comment about ATI wasn't exactly offensive. It may have been offensive to someone who is an ATI fanboy, but not to me. I don't know his experience with ATI products so it's unfair for me to tell him otherwise; he could have gotten plenty of bad units. What I can say, however, is that ATI is a quality brand because I have had great experiences with its products. And if I post that, and his post remains, then the only thing to differentiate between him and I would be public reputation. Since we don't have that, the original poster probably went off post count.

Is this it.. just a thanks, I mean where is the bars? and some sort of statistics because it just makes the forums abit more boring, this forums needs a big proper advertising, I don't know exactly what needs to be done but something does, this forums had 20active people all the time, their was so many registered users online back a few years ago, what the hells happened?

The thanks system gives noone an advantage in their looks, I mean alot of new members might like to build their statistics up because it looks cool on their displayed post.. but with it being in the CP showing who's last give you thanks I think it kinda doesn't add much help to keeping new members apart of the forums..

And I don't even think it's been improved.. we might have a few members but it's to slow of a progress into building a big healthy lounge for many people to get help and to post social things.. we get nothing, 1 thread every 2days, this is really bad..

Currently Active Users: 175 (7 members and 168 guests)

168 guests, we need to pull atleast 5% of this.. we need something to keep people wanting to come back.. all we have is a place where people come post their error and then they go.. we need bigger community to help more people, and thus having more members makes the forums alot more active, bringing more people here, we need to target the guests, we need to pull them in.. we need something good, some good features, or something that brings others together..

We need all sorts of things and many are in the pipeline but mostly we need time. The community has been through a lot. The hacks trashed member ability to log back in - you had to really want it. it will take time to re-establish trust and a vibrant member base, but it will happen.

The greatest resource of a forum is the info that members offer to help out others. Content heavy posts draw newbies to the board, usually via google New members asking questions generally weigh the advice they get based on the tenor of the post and any supporting posts. The thanks feature can used to encourage members to post great content and while I understand that it's a departure from standard forum swag, please give it a fair try.

Next up is a right hand column with a latest posts feed and some other widgets. Look for that sometime next week. :)

Sounds good, ye things do take time I too agree, I guess we will have to carry on with what we are doing and see where it gets us

The hacks trashed member ability to log back in - you had to really want it.
This I think out of all things was what killed the member base, I must admit I almost never reactivated my account. It was done in a way so there wasn't a message prompting you to change your password, you just got told it was wrong - so there was no real way of knowing what had actually happened without digging down into the right thread. It's as much effort as starting afresh and registering again elsewhere, if not more so. Plus, the fact this happened several times in a row shows that security was clearly lacking, so there was no guarantee it wouldn't happen again. Then you've got the question of whether you want to re-provide your details to have them potentially stolen again, and the fact the current admin leaves after all this does no wonders for anything either...

This I think out of all things was what killed the member base, I must admit I almost never reactivated my account. It was done in a way so there wasn't a message prompting you to change your password, you just got told it was wrong - so there was no real way of knowing what had actually happened without digging down into the right thread. It's as much effort as starting afresh and registering again elsewhere, if not more so. Plus, the fact this happened several times in a row shows that security was clearly lacking, so there was no guarantee it wouldn't happen again. Then you've got the question of whether you want to re-provide your details to have them potentially stolen again, and the fact the current admin leaves after all this does no wonders for anything either...

+1. You said exactly what I (and I'd image - lots of members) were thinking.

To be truthful though, this place has been dead for a lot longer than the hackers were around.
This is true, though I think that was really the final straw for a lot of people - and almost for a lot of others (myself included!)

Back
Top Bottom