Clean Laptop With Ethyl Alcohol(96%)

the

Beta member
Hey guys!

Is it okay to clean laptop with ethyl alcohol? What will happen if it gets inside the laptop? Is it safe for the electronics? Is it safe for the plastics?

I'm talking about 96% ethyl alcohol.Its sanitary and partially denaturated.

Thanks in advance!

You should never clean electronic equipment, especially plastics with any form of alcohol.

I'd recommend a damp cloth, and I mean damp. Not wet.

Damp rag is better. Ethyl Alcohol will evaporate quickly. Dampening the rag with ethyl should work I think.

I mean the plastic outside part of the laptop. And I din't mean spilling alcohol on the parts, just a wet rag.

Wet no, Damp yes. It's fine to do that on rare occasions, as long as you're not making a habit out of it!

I'll occasionally put hand sanatizer on my hands, and before it's dry I'll rub my hands on my mouse and across my keyboard. My hand sanitizer is 62%.

I find that acetone nail polish remover works better than alcohol for those hard to remove marks. Don't use it over the whole thing though, and definitely don't try it on a desktop, since it'll take the paint off.

Are you sure it's ethyl alcohol, not isopropyl? I haven't seen pure ethyl alcohol in idk how long.

Just an FYI, my hand sanitizer is 62% Ethynol Alcohol (which of course isn't "pure" but it is Ethyl and not isopropyl.

But again, the point here is that we aren't pouring it onto the devices, we are simply using it on a damp rag (or hands) to spot clean.

The alcohol should be fine for a little spot-cleaning, and will be safe for the electronics if you give it time to dry before powering-on.

I would not recommend acetone, as there is a much higher chance of damaging the plastic with that.

A damp rag is generally the best thing for cleaning the outside of the laptop casing, however.

Back
Top Bottom