the most safe method to divide partition with data

t1587

Baseband Member
What' the most safe method (without losing data) to divide partition with data into two partitions without backing up data. What program do I use? Should I defragment data before dividing partition into two partitions? On hdd I have two partitions: partition with data and partition with windows xp sp3 and installed programs.

I'm not 100% about this as I've always used DVD disks to backup my files..

So heres something you might want to research before trying, I've split harddrives up before, many times, partition magic has always come to my mind first and has always done a successfull job.

I've used GParted several times with successful results. It does take 3-4 hours (or longer) so I left it on overnight.

I would always backup your data though. Always. Did I say you should back up your data first just in-case?

I've used GParted several times with successful results. It does take 3-4 hours (or longer) so I left it on overnight.

I would always backup your data though. Always. Did I say you should back up your data first just in-case?

^^ This. GParted is what I use even though Windows 7 does a good job with it now, it is more powerfull. I do defrag first just out of habit and is probably a good idea if you let it run before partitioning as well.

If you are not going to back up don't partition. It is usually safe but any time you change the drive's logical layout like that you have a chance of things going screwy. I speak from experience that it's when you think there is no chance of things going wrong that they do and you'll lose everything.

I would go with either GParted or EASEUS Partition Manager. For EPM, depending on where Windows is installed, the partitioning process can be done even when you're using your machine for something else (though not recommended).

GParted has served me well for quite some time already whenever I don't feel like rebooting into Windows :)

Back
Top Bottom