random restarts and graphics recovery

detox1

Daemon Poster
I get random restarts and the odd "your graphics card stopped responding but has recovered"

I was thinking of rolling back the graphics drivers, I think it started just after I installed the latest ones. if not...:ermm:

The card is overclocked slightly, but temps are 32c idle and 60c load.

I'm due to wipe my harddrive anyway. I format once a year, weather it needs it or not.

just looking for some insight. Thanks. everything but the ram in my sig is what I have, ram is now 16gb of Kingston HyperX

Definitely sounds like a driver problem. Try going to previous drivers.

Your temps are fine so they shouldn't be a problem. Are the random restarts BSOD driven? You could try taking out some RAM sticks and run on 4GB/8GB temporarily depending on how you have it set. Also, how are the temps on your processor?

CPU temps are close to the same as GPU. No BSOD, but on restart it goes to 'Your computer shut down unexpectedly, please chose start-up method'.
And the problem was there before I changed my RAM from 4gb to 16gb.
I have also had the card out for cleaning since as well. The more I think of it the more I'm thinking its a driver problem. funny how things piece together when you put it out there.

I get the same error sometimes when playing my game, I don't worry to much because it doesn't stop me from playing, oddly..

Are you using amd catalyst control center?

no, not a fan of AMD/ATI. I have a GTX460. I'm going to run the card at stock for awhile, see how that goes. Funny, it doesn't do it when I'm playing BF3.

First rule of troubleshooting, always undo any overclocks if you initiated them yourself. Then start looking at the drivers if the issue persists.

I've been running at stock clocks for a few days now...I don't think I've had a problem yet. But I'll continue with this for a while longer.

First rule of troubleshooting, always undo any overclocks if you initiated them yourself. Then start looking at the drivers if the issue persists.

+1 to this. It's like driving 100 MPH everywhere you go and then ask why your car is overheating. Even if you car can go up to 120, it's too much for regular driving. You might want to try different overclocking configurations, or if temperature is an issue, add a fan. If money isn't a big factor, replace the graphics card. It really doesn't sound related any software or hardware problems. Updated drivers, MAY help.

Back
Top Bottom