Wireless router help please

Kkline88

Beta member
So i have a question. I currently have Comcast cable/internet(Xfinity). I have a desktop computer that's hooked up to the internet, and my Xbox also..
I just got a laptop, I don't have a wireless router, I need to buy one correct? and if so whats a decent one for under 30$, I don't need anything amazing. also, if I get the wireless router will it mess up my connections for Xbox and Desktop? Any help will be great. thanks.

How are your devices hooked up now? Are they hardwired to a wired router?

A new router will require the proper settings to allow it to connect to the modem and then share the internet connection with the 3 devices. The easiest way to do this is to call your ISP and tell them you bought a wireless router and they should be able to walk you through the required steps to properly configure the router and get everything working.

Google

There just hooked up via Ethernet lines I believe? it goes from router, right to my computer, and from router to my Xbox via a 25ft cable.. IDK if that helps? if I get a wifi router, will my old one be junk? Cuz I still want my one since its brandnew..

No it will still work, but you can only have one device on the network that gives out IP addresses.

It will be silly to have two routers hooked up anyway. I recommend you only have the wireless one hooked up. You can try to sell the other one or save it in case the wireless one breaks.

Also, as I said, when you get a new wireless one, the easiest thing to do will be to call your ISP to have then help you get it setup (unless you know all the settings required in your router).

Get a wireless access point and keep your current router. I use TP-Link. Killer prices for great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom