Hardware Cloning Transfer from HDD to SSD

WillI

Beta member
Hello,

I bought a Laptop that contains a HDD. Windows 7 and a few other programs are pre-intalled.

Now, I like to clone all the data from the HDD and transfer the data to an SSD. I have the equipment to persue the cloning but I need to know if the Windows 7 software will transfer from the HDD to SSD.

Is this possible?

No problem, virtually any cloning software will work. The only gotcha is partition alignment. If the partition isn't properly aligned then performance may suffer. Do a google search for Ssd partition alignment and you'll find info on how to check it and how to fix it.

You can use a program such as HDClone to clone your drive over to the SSD.

So by your logic, if someone has the hardware to do the clone you suggest software?

What did I miss?

To the OP: Yes, cloning should be fine, as long as the cloner supports cloning to an SSD (it should...I can't think of a reason why it wont)

A clone is essentially a bit-copy of everything from the source drive to the target drive. When you try to boot to the SSD, the software on the SSD shouldn't be aware of any change, except that now it'll start up and run faster than it did on the HDD.

So by your logic, if someone has the hardware to do the clone you suggest software?

What did I miss?

I'm not sure.

... what is the question?
eh.gif

I use HDClone whenever I upgrade a laptop hard drive; it keeps me using the same Windows install on the laptop, and I don't have to worry about losing my recovery partition, etc.

I am told that Clonezilla will accomplish the same thing, but I have no experience using that software.

Since an SSD uses the same interface (EIDE or SATA) as the drive it is replacing, there should be no impediment to using one of the above software packages for cloning the contents of a traditional drive to a solid-state drive of the same or larger capacity.

Back
Top Bottom