Graphics card causing endless reboot loop

berry120

Fully Optimized
I decided to upgrade my ageing Radeon X1600 and grab a HD6770, but after installing it the computer boots up, waits a few seconds then powers off for a few (usually powers on for around 3 seconds or so but it can vary!) It then powers on again and the cycle repeats.

Any ideas? Originally I thought the power supply was likely not beefy enough, but after trying two others that are more than powerful enough I get the exact same symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Equally I wondered whether the card was dead, but in a friend's system it works fine.

I'm left with the motherboard, a G41M-LE - but it's running the latest BIOS and I'm not sure what settings I could change in the BIOS to fix it! (Restoring the default settings didn't work.) It may well be running an older version of PCI-E but I thought they were meant to be backwards compatible?

Installed it myself - same behaviour before and after though. It definitely updated ok however :)

maybe it's that? I'm guessing it is... I'd advice go back to the default and retry if not then atleast we are degrading it down to certain things

I mean it was at the default BIOS, it didn't work and I updated to the latest version after it didn't work but had the same behaviour afterwards.

See if your BIOS has any memory sharing with video cards and disable if possible. It could be some weird issue where the BIOS can't allocate memory properly.

It does for the onboard graphics but those options disappear when the PCI express card is selected as the primary card - either way I get exactly the same symptoms though whatever one is set to primary (on-board, PCI or PCI express).

Back
Top Bottom