Thanks - Coming Soon

Good point. But I definitely think there should be some kind of system to show who is more trustworthy than others.
See post #18
The flaw in your logic here is I know my snizzle but don't post much. Does that mean I'm not trustworthy? If that's the case you can watch me log out for the last time and never come back...

Quoting out of context is not a good thing. You have to look at the statement as a whole to see what I was driving at.

The flaw in your logic here is I know my snizzle but don't post much. Does that mean I'm not trustworthy?
no. but by that same metric someone with only a single post isn't necessarily not to be trusted. on a technical level the fact that a moderator is a moderator does not mean that they should be trusted to provide technical advise.
and it's a sad fact that the old rep system was more a measure of how much a person was liked more than what they knew.

there has to be some kind of scale, and crude as it is, this tanks system is probably the one that'll end up being used.

besides, it's also the case that whilst you do not post here much, what you do say tends to be insightful. so you'd have disproportionately high thanks for the amount of posts you made.

so a new member with 10 posts and 10 thanks is probably a good indication that they can be trusted.
on the other hand a member with a million posts, but no thanks is probably a good indicator that either member does not usually help people out, or does not usually give good/correct advice.

(though admittedly that does rather mean that there is a problem for existing members with high posts counts who will all start out with no thanks messages.)

on the other hand, like I've said many times before, if you can get rep/tanks from anywhere, then what's the point? the fact that I could get more rep from a post in the social lounge for making a joke, than I could get in the hardware section where simple advice might save someone hours of time and hundreds of dollars made the whole system a bit useless for judging peoples ability for giving technical advice.

on the other hand, like I've said many times before, if you can get rep/tanks from anywhere, then what's the point? the fact that I could get more rep from a post in the social lounge for making a joke, than I could get in the hardware section where simple advice might save someone hours of time and hundreds of dollars made the whole system a bit useless for judging peoples ability for giving technical advice.

Since we don't have the system yet: :Thanx:

so a new member with 10 posts and 10 thanks is probably a good indication that they can be trusted.

No one is going to be able to see the amount of thanks anyone else has so that point becomes redundant.

So then we're right back at square one...
If you want to send a private message of thanks to a member, why not use the pre-existing private message system?

So then we're right back at square one...
If you want to send a private message of thanks to a member, why not use the pre-existing private message system?
This is why I think that some public system is needed as you outline - whether that's the idea of public thanks or the idea of rep as we had it. Sure, those systems have their flaws and they're not perfect by any stretch - but they're better than nothing or just relying on post count, which is what people will tend to do otherwise.

Guys, you are over thinking this system. This isn't Stack Overflow or Quora. It's just a simple system to say thanks to someone who posts something of quality that you agree with. At this point we have no plans to create a public facing system to validate who is more or less knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom