Re installation of the OS

Rayne94

Beta member
My computer has been pretty messed up since a rootkit I had, and I just found this disk:

Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2 so I'm pretty positive this is the correct disk. I'm pretty sure I want to reinstall the OS, but what else do I need to save besides my files?

I've read about saving different drivers on a flash drive like for the Ethernet and / or Wireless Networking driver from Welcome to Dell Technical Support and save it on a disk, flash drive. Is this necessary? What else should I save?

Reinstalling the OS would put internet on my computer, so I can easily re-download anti-viruses, etc. Correct?

How long will this reinstallation take?

I think I might have a virus on my computer at the moment (computer acted like I told it to turn off, a pop up about 'are you sure you want to exit out of Malwarebytes Module?', Avast not opening up, etc.) and I'm worried about losing everything on the computer if I wait too much longer. Scans in safe mode haven't found anything (Malwarebytes and Avast) but I don't believe it. I plan on running a boot scan. Any other advice?

I'm really hating my computer. :facepalm:

You will want to look up the network (ethernet driver) of your computer first. Sometimes, depending on where the disk is from and if it includes drivers, and what hardware you have Windows may or may not find the ethernet driver. If it doesn't it's nice to have it on a flash drive already so that you can install it and then go online to get the rest of the drivers.

For me, from start to finish (updates/drivers/software loaded) it takes about 2-3 hours (depending on how many updates and how much software).

Make sure you save all your important files (which your backing up anyway right ;)).

PS: XP is up to SP3. I highly recommend you download and install that after you've reloaded it. Also make sure you do all the other updates as well.

Back
Top Bottom