Record audio to a website

AnnihilationRob

Baseband Member
This might seem like a pretty weird idea, but I've got a good reason for wanting to do this I promise. Basically, I am going to hook up a microphone to a server and then build a website that allows a user to record the audio signal from the microphone and then download the resulting audio file to his or her computer. Seems like it should be possible. Whats the best way to go about doing this? Additionally, it would be nice to stream the audio signal so the user can hear it while it is being recorded.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

This seems like a neat idea. I think that it would be possible, but there is a lot of work to do it. I want to know first if you want to write the site yourself, or if you are looking for people to create it for you. If you want to write it yourself, what experience you have with html, php, and mysql?

I've got plenty of experience with php and mysql to make the user interface part of the site. Its just the actual capturing audio part that I have no idea where to start with. It looks like there is an extension for php that allows it to access serial ports, but I have no experience with this and i'm not sure a php-only solution is really the right way to go anyway. I don't have a lot of experience with java or c though, so if there is a solid way to do this with php that would be great.

Thanks,
Rob

Well would have a look into what online radio stations use. I am not sure what they uses off hand but I can look into it too.

Are there internet radio stations with live djs? That might be a place to look, but it seems like they would be running some piece of client-side software that a listener/user couldn't control.

You can also record audio to your website. For that you can also write the code for it and also use the ready made plugins which can provide such facility. So that a nice and new feature is enabled to user of your website.

Back
Top Bottom