Computer wont recognize all of my ram with windows 7 ultimate 64bit

altfy6

Solid State Member
Hello. I've tried to do a great deal of research on this issue but can't find a solution, so I was wondering if I can get some help. I have a desktop computer with a dual quad core and 10 gb of ram. It has Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. When I boot up the screen recognizes all the ram but says that only 5 gb has passed through. After the computer fully boots I go into the computer properties and it only says 5 gb. I've checked all the sticks and they are all good. I've tried only putting 8 gb in at once and then windows says I only have 4 gb. So it seems windows keeps on wanting to cut my ram in half. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

1. Go to Start, in the search bar type msconfig and press enter.
2. System Configuration window will open on the screen.
3. Click on tab named "boot".
4. Click on "Advanced Options" and uncheck the box for "Maximum Memory".

well then, I guess I can't help..if you aren't going to go into bios and atleast look for somewhat memory controller theirs not much we can do.. bios isn't bad unless you change things you don't know this is why I'm here to give you advice

Just look for some memory things.. like get a pen and write down your bios information..

I have a desktop computer with a dual quad core and 10 gb of ram. It has Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. After the computer fully boots I go into the computer properties and it only says 5 gb.

I had a similar problem with a Dell computer. It too only recognized half the RAM. What the problem turned out to be was single versus double sided RAM. I don't remember which (single/dual) recognized the full amount of RAM, I just remember that I had a large amount of RAM to test in the system and the problem seemed to be that the motherboard just refused to see the full amount of RAM on certain sticks.

You might want to check your manual to see if it supports the RAM you have. Often the manufacturer web site will list recommended RAM.

Hope this helps.

Hey, here are my computer specs and what I found in the BIOS:

Motherboard: Tyan Computer Corporation
Model: S2696

(In BIOS)
System Memory: 640 KB
Extended Memory: 5240832 KB

Memory Cache
Cache System Bios Area: Write Protect
Cache Video Bios Area: Write Protect
Cache Base 0-512k: Write Back
Cache Base 512-640k: Write Back
Cache Extended Memory Area: Write Back
Cache A000-AFFF: Disabled
Cache B000-BFFF: Disabled
Cache C800-CBFF: Write Protect
Cache CC00-CFFF: Write Protect
Cache D000-D3FF: Disabled
Cache D400-D7FF: Disabled
Cache D800-DBFF: Disabled
Cache DC00-DFFF: Disabled
Cache E000-E3FF: Write Protect
Cache E400-E7FF: Write Protect
Cache E800-EBFF: Write Protect
Cache EC00-EFFF: Write Protect

That's all I could find in the BIOS that I think deals with memory. When I boot the computer up it says that there is 8192 RAM and only 5120 has passed through. Let me know if you see anything wrong or if you have more suggestions. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom