Trying to stop my computer sounding like a jumbo jet

Jam94banjo

Beta member
Hi everybody :)
I purchased a new computer a few days ago and everything on it is perfect, except for one thing... It sounds like a jumbo jet taking off :hide: This is my system:
Case: Antec 300 case
Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30GHz Sandybride overlocked to 4.40GHz
Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler: Xigmatek Red Scorpion CPU Cooler
RAML 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel kit
Hard Drive : 500GB HDD
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 6950 2049MB GDDR5

It isn't dust in the fans nor is it loose cables so i was wondering if there was anyway of reducing the fan speed slightly or if anyone had any reccomendations on a better cooling kit/ fans/ thermal paste? Thanks for any suggestions :)

How many fans are plugged into that beast, no wonder it's loud look at the system, it's sick lol

It's overclocked also.. by and chance has the computer got rivatuner ? maybe before you purchased it off a guy..it had rivatuner load 100% fan speeds at windows start, but if it's purchased from a shop I highly doubt it has anything on

Can you take a picture of the inside? or tell us exactly what fans are connected, it may have been modded

you can replace fans with silent running ones,
or look for ones with a high 'cfm' with a low 'rpm'.

That power supply is loud. Also, since you are overclocking your PC, your fans will run faster than usual to prevent your CPU from going up in smoke. Over-clocking = heat = more cooling needed = more sound. I will echo the above comment about replacing the fans with cool running ones.

The case is an Antec 300? The ones we buy at work all have the little fan speed switches on them, and you can change the case fans to spin slower by sliding the little switch to "L" from whatever it's set at.

Also, if you built the system yourself, if there's a heatsink that isn't attached properly (i.e. the CPU) and it can't keep it cool, they'll spin up very fast - so be sure your headsink is attached firmly and that it is taking the heat away from the CPU as it should be.

Back
Top Bottom