Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Boot Problem HELP

So I did a little research on that USB device and couldn't find out for sure if it contains a hidden partition or not. But... the next suggestion is a rather long process to fix this problem, but if you want to boot from USB, here's what you need to do.

So, from what I can tell, Gparted is the only program to date that will allow you to view and modify hidden partitions on flash devices. The only problem is that GParted is only on linux. Before I walk you through downloading VMWare, Ubuntu, creating a Virtual Machine, installing GParted in that Linux virtual machine and then modifying the USB drive... let's try one more option beforehand.

Download the GParted package here. You'll want to select the .zip file to download. Once complete, extract the files. In the directory that it's been extracted to, navigate to the \utils\win32 folder and select the makeboot.bat file. Copy this file to your USB stick before you run it! A .bat or batch file will execute in the directory it's run from, so you don't want to run this from your Windows download folder as you'd be running the batch file on your root drive. When you run the batch file, you'll get a Command Prompt (console program) that executes the commands. Confirm that the drive letter listed is the drive letter of the USB device. Once that completes, copy the files from the Windows disc to the USB device and try once more.
:crossing fingers:

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I'm not sure how effective it is, but I've also read that the HP USB Format Tool (windows based) will remove the hidden partition from a USB device. You can also try this before you use the makeboot.bat file.

I'm sure you've done that, but I'll rule that out too...

Did you install Windows 7 on that motherboard or on a different system (or motherboard)?

I will try this out iPwn. Ihuser, I had Windows installed from an older motherboard.

If the USB doesn't work again (hopefully it does), I am going to go out and buy a Sata DVD drive. Too much hassle otherwise :)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Then this is most likely why it won't start. Drivers aren't the same. Have you tried setting the SATA mode in Compability/IDE in the BIOS?

Well the problem is this new motherboard doesn't even have an IDE port lol. So I can't even plug in my IDE DVD drive to install windows.

lhuser is just talking about the drive compatibility, not using an IDE drive. If you set the BIOS to use IDE Legacy mode vs AHCI, the drive may start - this is especially true if the old board didn't support AHCI and the new one has AHCI enabled by default.

It will make the difference between a system starting and not starting.

Well here's a new problem. Just bought a new LG Sata drive from some Comp Repair Shop (I some what didn't trust them). Bought the drive anyways, plugged the drive in, and what happened next, scared me a bit.

The computer turned on for a second or two, then off. I tried a second time, and the same thing. There was some sort of burnt smell of some sort and my first reaction and fear was that I fried the motherboard or the PSU. I also thought that maybe the case was shortening the motherboard.
I took both the PSU and motherboard out of the case and everything worked fine.

So I believed the case to be the problem, until I took out the new CD Drive. I connected this CD Drive outside of the case, and it caused the same problem. On for a second, then off. Now I know the problem is this new CD Drive and not the case, motherboard or PSU.

-------------- EDIT / UPDATE ---------------

I have concluded that the issue now lies in a faulty SATA cable from the PSU. I have tried it with this CD Drive, and on a HDD without the CD Drive. Same power issue.

I tried a different SATA PSU cable, and was able to load with no problem, even with the CD Drive and HDD both connected.
The problem is that I am not able to open the CD Drive when I press the button for some reason. The light blinks for a few seconds but the tray doesn't come out.

I am guessing that the previous faulty cable damaged the CD Drive. Is this a possibility?

Yup, definitely possible. Power supplies with shorting components will do everything you said. If the cords are modular, you can move on. Unfortunately when it happens to non modular PSUs, you usually have to chuck the entire thing.

I checked the PSU without that bad cable, and PC booted fine thank god. So I didn't kill the PSU. I put this bad SATA PSU cable aside, and plugged in the one that's being used on my HDDs.

PC booted fine with the CD Drive plugged in but I think the damage to the CD Drive was done. That's when the CD Drives Disk Tray wouldn't come out.

I had no way of knowing if it was a faulty cable. I guess I have a little bit of bad luck on my side but I will keep trying!

Back
Top Bottom