Wise disk cleaner - showing 1 GB as unwanted

praveenkumar.p

Baseband Member
I regularly use Windows Disk cleanup and Disk Defragmenter.

Yesterday I installed and used Wise Disk Cleaner from WiseCleaner Homepage - Best Free Registry Cleaner, Best Free Disk Cleaner as recommended by a magazine.
Using that software I scanned my pc for unwanted stuff:

It indicated that:
> 4462 unwanted files of 1 GB were found:
> Junk files created by Windows 250 MB
(C:\Windows \temp\.. files like cab_1000_2, .txt, .sqm, .tmp, .log, .ini, .mst, lots of google earth files etc)
> Unwanted downloaded files 250 MB
(around 50 such files are in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\.. like.. 0a9b919235864cb6f1a5336ba12cc39b.. etc)
> Cache files at boot time 150 MB

Is it ok to delete them? Wise Disk Cleaner is showing such a lot of unwanted files, eventhough I have been cleaning the pc with Windows Disk cleaner. Please advice.

I think the quick and short answer is yes it will not do your computer any harm to remove these files.

There are some files stored in various locations on your computer that will either be used just once when your PC boots up or a couple of times through the running and these files can usually be put back as and when required without any action from you but they will be done by the program.

The reason a windows utility doesnt pick this up is because windows believes that these files are required in order to operate efficently and it;s true having these files there in certain situations can increase the speed of certain processes and programs, but were talking fractions of a second.

Think of it like a cookie or temporary internet file, you go to google and the first time you go their it downloads the google logo and stores it in your temp files. The next time you go to google you don't have to download the google logo coz you already have it it just references it in a different location. It will speed the web page loading up quicker, if you deleted the logo from your temp files nothing bad will happen it's just next time you goto gooogle it will have to download it again.

download ccleaner and if it scans and has 1gb or around the same then you know what to do.

I use ccleaner, their probs just the same but if you want to double make sure give it a shot..

Thanks, I'll check with ccleaner.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

download ccleaner and if it scans and has 1gb or around the same then you know what to do.

I use ccleaner, their probs just the same but if you want to double make sure give it a shot..

I used ccleaner and it too showed the same. Around 1 GB of stuff, deleted them anyway.. also created a registry backup.
It seems that Windows Diskcleanup doesnt clean everything!
Thanks.

No, Windows Disk cleanup is only targeted at cleaning out the files/folders that it says it will. CCleaner attacks other things such as browser cache files (for more than just IE too) as well as thumbnails caches for pictures and so forth.

After cleaning with ccleaner, MSE reported that the "computer wasnt scanned for a while"
also "remember my computer for 30 days" got disabled for google 2 step login verification.

Yup, CCleaner takes out some of those cache files. Nothing to be alarmed about. Just run the MSE scan.

CCleaner also deletes your browser's cache, and it does so for IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. You'll have to enter your login details again - if you don't want CCleaner to do this, just make sure you change the appropriate options before running the cleaner next time.

Back
Top Bottom