no bios boot screen

chriscontroller

Solid State Member
I have recently upgraded my computer. I cannot seem to get any sort of bios screen. Everything is getting power but my monitor stays blank. I purchased a new motherboard, am3 processor, 4gb ram, new psu, new dvd drive, and new videocard. I checked to make sure my mob is compatible with all of these things. made sure to plug in both the mob power and cpu power. The only thing I can think of is I might need a new hard drive or maybe getting an old keyboard to bring up the bios menu. My keyboard right now is a wireless usb keyboard. My old hard drive is ide and my new mob has sata and ide ports. I also have my windows 7 dvd in the drive. Would I need a new sata drive in order to get a bios boot screen. Don't wanna spend another hundred if I don't have to. thanks in advance!!

Are you sure the POST speaker is plugged in? Have you tried removing the video card and plugging the monitor into the onboard video?

Please post full specs. Model numbers for every part in your system would be ideal.

k. here's my specs. I have tried plugging the monitor into both vga ports as well. my hard drives turn on and my dvd drive reads my disc. This is my first build. could it be bad ram or a hard drive issue? Seems like I would still get something on the screen regardless. My mob said it was compatible with these.

I have tried taking out the videocard before I plug in the onboard video.
here's a compatibility list for the motherboard to processor. it does accept am3 as well. my processor is on this list. it is 95 watts so there's no issue there.

CPU-Upgrade: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 processor support

AMD Athlon II X4 640 - ADX640WFK42GM (ADX640WFGMBOX)

Even if you have your hard drives configured incorrectly, you should still get a BIOS screen. They just won't be detected. When you do finally get this figured out, make sure one is jumped to master, and the other slave. Cable select doesn't always work how you want it to.

Have you confirmed the power supply is in proper working order? Try it in another system and make sure it runs okay. It might power up, but not send all the proper voltages the motherboard needs.

You should also check for shorts. Remove the entire system from the case rebuild it on top of the box the mobo came in. If you still cannot get a boot, I'd RMA that board. This may take a little while, so I'd send in the ticket right now, and you can just cancel it later if we find out it's something else.

so I checked the power supply with my old computer and it powers up just fine. It's only a 20 pin motherboard though. dunno if that makes too much difference. As of now i think it's either the ram or the motherboard. More than likely it's the motherboard I imagine. Do you think that faulty ram could be the issue though? I tried taking the ram out of my old computer and the screen stays blank like with my new system but it beeps at me. I would think that the new system would beep at me too if the ram was bad. Maybe that means it is the motherboard?

That particular motherboard does have an onboard speaker, so if there was an error code it should be beeping. Try taking out the RAM all together and powering it on. It should beep at you. Try one stick at a time in each slot. Looking up reviews for that motherboard on Newegg shows that someone had a no POST problem and it turned out to be a RAM slot was bad.

so I replaced my mob thinking that was the issue but it's doing the same thing. could it be that my cpu really isn't compatible with my mob. It says on the list i posted earlier that it should work. it is a quad core though and my mob only has a 4 pin power input. I also tried each ram separately so unless they are both bad that shouldn't be the issue. could be they are though. maybe it's just my monitor not seeing the vga slot. It is a older vga dell lcd 17" monitor. It worked with my old computer just fine. I tried my psu and monitor recently with the old comp so I know they work. the ram is 667 mhz. It beeps at me when I have no ram in. any help would be a lifesaver! getting pretty frustrated as of now.

Something worth mentioning is that you've got an AM3 CPU on an AM2+ motherboard. It should be OK, but it's also possible that the BIOS on that board isn't up to date enough to support your processor. If possible, buy an AM3 board (but you'd also have to buy DDR3 RAM instead) or an AM2+ processor if you would rather just flash the BIOS on this board.

It should also have the latest BIOS if you bought it recently, but it depends on how long it sat on the inventory rack at the reseller.

Back
Top Bottom