Installing win7 in a ssd+hhd

W/O password

Solid State Member
I just finish putting together my new system, but the only thing left to do is to install my drives.

they're both brand new, so i would like to have my os in the ssd(120gb) and keep the hhd(1TB) for storage, im a novice on this type of things, second build i've done and never work with an ssd.

so can anyone help me out on how to do this procedure installing the the drive and the os properly or if you have a link where i can read something realated to this matter

thank you

p.s. the hardware is
Asus PZ68 vpro
intel i7 2600k
crossair 8gb ram
OCZAgility 3 120gb
WD Caviar Black 1TB

Hi W/O password, welcome to computer forums. First you should connect both hard drives to the motherboard via SATA cable. Once all the hardware is hooked up, fire up the computer, put the windows 7 cd in and then boot from the CD. After this point everything else is fairly straight forward. You will get to a point in the installation where it will ask you where you want to install the OS. Make sure you select the right one, the HD size will typically be in the name so you should have no problem with that. Once you're windows 7, install all the drivers for your hardware on your SSD (C:/) and when installing any kind of applications you will still need to install them on your SSD. Then from that point on when saving any kind of data that is when you save it on your 1TB HDD (should be shown in my computer as another drive if you connected it to the motherboard correctly) Hope this helps!

so I dont need to format any of the drives, and the ssd should be ready to have win7 to be install no need to downlaod and firmware for it

If the drives are new then no. If any of them had an OS installed on them before then when installing windows 7 delete the partitions of that hard drive.

When you install Windows and select the SSD to install on, Windows will automatically format the SSD. once you boot into Windows you can format the data drive.

Also, make sure you connect the SSD to the number 1 SATA port and the hdd to the number 2 SATA port. That's how it knows which one is the main drive and which one is the secondary drive. Win7 will format the ssd and install windows for you. Then when it's all set up you right click "computer" and go to "manage", then click on "disk management" and from there you can format and partition your secondary hdd as you like.

Also, make sure you connect the SSD to the number 1 SATA port and the hdd to the number 2 SATA port. That's how it knows which one is the main drive and which one is the secondary drive.

Well, almost. Most modern BIOSes won't boot based on port number, but rather drive assignment number. It's just one of those "oh yeah" things to make sure the drives are on the ports numbered numerically. It never hurts. :)

The rest of what they said is spot on however - Windows 7's setup is really easy to see which drive you're installing to, and I have a hybrid setup like this at work - 120GB boot drive, and a 750GB storage drive, and it works great. The laptop I'm typing on tonight has the same 120GB SSD installed as the only drive, and it is a great little beater box.

Back
Top Bottom