yuriynyr1

Solid State Member
PC Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate
3 Harddrives; 80GB, 160GB, 320GB
Video Card: Ati Radeon HD 5700
CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K
Ram: GSkill Ripjaw 16GB Total (4 x 4GB)

Hello, I purchased the Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 motherboard which is having some difficulty loading windows.

I have read that many people are having problems with this motherboard during booting.

The PC starts up fine, I am able to go into BIOS (which I updated to the latest using my USB Drive), It shows that it detects my CPU and memory.

Problem is, it detects windows on my harddrive when I let it load, and it asks me to choose an operating system from one of my harddrives. When I choose Win 7 Ultimate, everything seems to be working fine until the Starting Windows splash screen shows up. It shows for a few seconds, then just restarts the computer and it's the same cycle over and over.

Since it seems like it's detecting everything, I am hoping that the motherboard itself is fine and I don't have to RMA it. Many people who had to RMA this series motherboard couldn't even start their computers, as their fans would turn on for a few seconds and then shut off.

How can I fix this and what could be the problem?

This doesn't really sound like a motherboard off the bat, but I'm not ruling it out...

First, try to boot the computer into Safe Mode. If that works, try a system restore.

If that doesn't work, try booting the computer from the Windows 7 CD. Select next when you get the prompt for language. Then you'll see the "Install Now" option. At this screen press F10 to bring up the recovery options. Try startup repair.

If it boots to the windows 7 cd I see it being a problem with the OS not your hardware, as iPwn states it's best to try that.

Post updates and we'll be glad to assist further

Thanks for the tips guys, I will try that however I have a slight problem. I currently don't have a DVD drive. The drive that I had on my previous motherboard connected through that large cable, not sure what its called, EID cable I think. Thing is, this new motherboard doesn't have an EID port. Only SATA.

I will have to check my other computer's (this one) DVD drive if it's SATA, then I'll take it out.

I tried to copy the contents on my Windows 7 CD to a USB Drive and tried to boot the USB drive on my new comp but I had no luck booting it. I guess worst case for me is to buy a new SATA DVD drive.

The cable/connector is actually a ATA/PATA standard, but commonly referred to as IDE (you were very close!) Most newer motherboard no longer have IDE as it's just a dying technology and made obsolete by SATA.

When you tried copying the contents of the Win 7 DVD to a USB drive: What was the error, if any, when you booted? Did it even attempt to boot from the USB?

Try this guide.

I assumed that if I just copy the files from the Win7 DVD to USB drive and load it on my new comp, that the new comp will just auto boot the USB Drive like a regular Hdd.

I have tried this guide previously but when I get to the "Create Partition Primary" step, it tells me something like "no usuable free extend could be found". And that there may not be enough space when the guide uses only a 4GB USB Drive. I cannot create this partition and cannot make my USB Drive bootable.

Am I doing something wrong here? The USB Drive is 8GB.

Well, you may not have USB booting enabled in the BIOS (a lot of desktops have this disabled by default as with a desktop, you would typically have some type of external drive connected, increasing the boot time tremendously as the BIOS process scans the external drive(s) for a bootable file/partition). In my experience, the type of drive makes a difference in the way you make it bootable. I've had USB sticks that I could simply copy the files over, whereas with larger drives, you have to follow the guide I posted to the letter. It's odd.

Anyway, after enabling USB booting in the BIOS, format the USB stick to FAT32, then copy the contents of the DVD over to the USB. I don't know why you have to do this next step, but bare with me here. The "bootmgr" file needs to be in all caps, but you can't just rename it to all caps. So you have to rename it to something else, some random word, and then rename it again to "BOOTMGR"...all caps. That should work, at least it has with me.

Still no luck. Bios detects the USB Drive, and I set it as the 1st priorty, however when I exit Bios, it goes straight to the Choose Windows screen.

I am guessing the USB Drive doesn't work because I don't have the motherboard drivers for USB installed. I think the only option is to get a SATA Dvd drive.

That's not your only option. What is the make and model of the USB drive that you're using? Some of the small USB drives come with with a hidden partition where they store their own programs (The SanDisk Cruzer, for example and it's autoplay program). This hidden partition is in position 0 so when it attempts to boot from the device, it checks there, finds no boot loader and continues on the boot order list of devices. So, what type of USB drive is it?

Back
Top Bottom