Best Path to take... CCNA or MCSE or something else I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramcage

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I've posted a few times for problems I've had and always got some good advice, so hopefully I can get some more. Not sure where to post for this kind of question on this site, so hopefully I chose right. Apologies if it should be somewhere else.

Anyways, I'm at a crossroads here and I'm really wondering which path I should take. I want to go into the networking field and I'm wondering which road would be better: CCNA or MCSE. I do prefer hardware as apposed to Active Directories and all that stuff, however I don't really mind either. I want the job that is more in demand (I do realize it depends where I live, but I can always move somewhere if needed). I just want a job that has a good career attached to it. I'm sure both have their benefits, but I'm just looking to see what people think is the better path.

Of course I may get an answer that there is someone else I should be looking into, but from what I can see CCNA (and above CCNP...) and MCSE are kind of the two leaders if I'm not mistaken. I'm really looking for something in the networking field, I have already looked into both quite a bit, just wanted to see what people recommended before I make my decision.

Any advice people have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i would say you are better off going for the CCNA, there are far to many people with MCSE's these days

I think CCNA is better to have on your CV, and I can recommend it, it will teach you a great detail about designing networks.

Thank you both.

I've been asking this question a lot and the answer seems to be CCNA all around.

MCSE will get you help desk CCNA, is much better. Almost more prestigious cause like JCB said, way to many people have MCSE's. I think cisco certified sounds cool too lol.

our network engineers are CCNA trained, they're still utterly useless at their job though.

For example we had a store with a router down, engineer was on site told us he'd done everything he could and it was semi working, when he left the internet was still down.

called out a BT engineer who went on site, reported that the power cable was not plugged in, plugged it in and charged nearly £300 for the visit.

Moral of the story: being certified don't mean squat if you're useless

IMHO, if you start up CCNA and move up to say, CCNP in the future; would be a good path. If you want to be a network guy obviously, CCNP/CCNA aren't that useful if you want to be a desktop support guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom