Changing settings to load fans?

IPwn,

I gave speedfan a try. I adjusted the settings, (if I'm using it correctly) but I'm not noticing a reduction in noise when lowering the levels. Also, I've been monitoring my PC through CPUID, and when I make a change through speedfan CPUID reports the changes. But like I said theres no noise reducation.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hopefully someone with more experience in software fan control can answer but my next solution would be the fan controller I posted above.

Hopefully someone with more experience in software fan control can answer but my next solution would be the fan controller I posted above.

Ok, I'll wait a couple days to see if someone else has any other advice regarding the software solution. If not I will purchase the fan controller you mentioned above.

Again, thanks.

Speedfan should do the job for you and adjust the fan speeds, by how many rpm's are you reducing the speed? Did you try turning them way down to see if the noise goes down?

With 120mm fans, you can turn them down fairly far and still have adequate airflow with less noise which is the advantage of bigger fans. When you say "noise", do you mean the "whishing" of air flowing or do you mean noise from the actual bearing in the fan? Because it's possible you could have gotten a fan with a bad bearing that makes noise no matter what speed. A long while ago I bought 4 brand new 80mm Vantec fans and installed them in my pc. 3 of them were nice and quiet while 1 made a bit more noise than the others in terms of the bearings inside.

Speedfan should do the job for you and adjust the fan speeds, by how many rpm's are you reducing the speed? Did you try turning them way down to see if the noise goes down?

With 120mm fans, you can turn them down fairly far and still have adequate airflow with less noise which is the advantage of bigger fans. When you say "noise", do you mean the "whishing" of air flowing or do you mean noise from the actual bearing in the fan? Because it's possible you could have gotten a fan with a bad bearing that makes noise no matter what speed. A long while ago I bought 4 brand new 80mm Vantec fans and installed them in my pc. 3 of them were nice and quiet while 1 made a bit more noise than the others in terms of the bearings inside.

Tommy,

I went as far as setting the fans to 10% via SpeedFan and couldn't tell a difference in noise reduction. I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from the air flowing, but I could be wrong. I just know they are loud. I guess I could unplugged one of the fans and see if one is louder than the other? I mean what are the chances of both fans being bad?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Ok, so I've tried just about everything possible in regards to getting SpeedFan to work, but I've not had any luck yet. I'm thinking that SpeedFan isn't comptiable with my board.

I'm going to wait and see if I can "get used" the noise, if not, I'll go out and purchase the fan control unit like IPwn suggested.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Well, if nothing else you can get the fan controller, that is guaranteed to work. I've used those too and they are very simple and easy to install.

Back
Top Bottom