Windows activation after Sysprep

dmj940441

Beta member
I have a windows 7 home premium installation on my computer. The original disk was windows 7 home premium OEM (without SP1). I have since upgraded to SP1. I plan to change my motherboard and CPU. I'd like to use Sysprep to transfer my current hard drive to the new hardware. I realize I will need a new product key. Which version of Windows would I have to buy to get a workable product key: another OEM of windows 7 HP SP1, another OEM of windows 7 HP without SP1, or a retail version of windows 7 HP with SP1. (I'm confused because on the Microsoft site it states that a key for SP1 will not activate a system without SP1). Thank you in advance for your assistance. Don.

I hate OEM...

Get a volume license for win 7. Regardless of whether or not you get the SP1 key, you can download SP1 while windows is not activated and then activate after you have SP1. If you get a volume license you can technically activate windows on 3 different machines (only one at a time of course). Before you go purchase another copy though, put the new motherboard and CPU in and phone Microsoft. It's not completely unheard of that they will give you an activation code for your new motherboard and chip.

Edit: a motherboard and CPU count as one point each towards a new system and you need three pnts against you to make the copy invalid. However a NIC counts as three points on its own so since it's integrated, your board may count as four by itself but I'm not completely certain on that. Still give them a call after your upgrade and se what they say.

Volume Licensing is only feasible if you are a business that installs to several computers over their lifespan. A retail boxed copy of Windows 7 would accomplish the same thing here. Or another OEM copy of Windows 7.

Volume Licensing is only feasible if you are a business that installs to several computers over their lifespan. A retail boxed copy of Windows 7 would accomplish the same thing here. Or another OEM copy of Windows 7.

In my original post... volume should have been retail. Whooops :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom