CPU cache and processor choice

austinedwards7

Solid State Member
i have never built a computer and im thinking bout building a computer mainly for playin games nothing high end. and im trying to decide on a CPU. Also what is a good cache size for a decent or average processor.
any help will be appreciated
please note i dont know alot about computers and im only 14

AMD CPUs aren't cache limited, and as long as you buy a high end enough video card, it won't matter much (as you ratchet up the resolution, the high end Intel and AMD CPUs perform similarly) That being said, an AMD Athlon II 3.0 GHz CPU will perform only about 5-8% slower than a Phenom II of the same speed (the Athlon II is a Phenom II without the L3 cache).

Intel's side however is cache dependent, so the more cache you can get on a chip, the better (generally) it all depends on budget and planned build of course.

dear my friend
there are three levels of cache L1 , L2 and L3
L3 always could be alterable , so you can buy a computer and when you need extra cache you can upgrade it .

dear my friend
there are three levels of cache L1 , L2 and L3
L3 always could be alterable , so you can buy a computer and when you need extra cache you can upgrade it .

Not true. Back in the Socket 7 / Super Socket 7 days this was the case, but L3 is usually on-chip only, and the closest you can get to upgrading the L3 is just to add more RAM. But that's not cache. ;)

Back
Top Bottom