Sharing Folder

Silvalite

Baseband Member
Hi All,
I have been searching the net for a way to make a sharing folder. I have found nothing useful. I want to create a sharing folder between my laptop and our home computer. Please a simple explanation would be most appreciated :)

Thanks,
Silvalite110

Well, the overall process is going to be determined by the operating systems on both computers... what are they?

So you need to make sure that both computers are on the same IP address schema, (shoulda both be 192.168.0.x or 1.x). Then, they need to be in the same Workgroup. From there you can simply right click on any folder, click Sharing and Security. You should be present with a few options and hyperlinks and one of them is rather long. It says something to the effect of "If you understand the security risks and want to share anyway or without the wizard" something something... click that link. Then select "Just enable file sharing" and click Ok. Now you should have a checkbox available that says "Share this folder on the network." Check that and enter a share name (folder name). Now on the other computer, in an explorer window type:
\\hostname\sharename

So if the host computer has a hostname of DonsComputer and the folder share name was set to Shared, it would look like:
\\Donscomputer\shared

You can find the hostname by opening a command prompt and typing hostname.

When you install XP it's 'supposed' to default to Workgroup "WORKGROUP" but I've seen it default to "MSHOME" before too.

I replied to your PM, please see Post #4. Once they are in the same workgroup, you'll be able to share the folder(s)

Back
Top Bottom