P C doesn't recognise hub

Lintama

Solid State Member
Just switched to another broadband supplier but I can't connect to the internet due to the hub not being recognised. Spoke to the broadband supplier's technician and after several minutes of going through the possibilities, he said I need to re-install my operating system. I have Windows XP but no disc and I don't know anybody that has one. What can I do next?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not going to go that direction yet because I see this all the time from broadband providers who have no answer.

Prior to switching to this provider, what kind of internet did you have? And when you say hub, do you mean a router, modem or a real 5-port hub?

I'm not going to go that direction yet because I see this all the time from broadband providers who have no answer.

Prior to switching to this provider, what kind of internet did you have? And when you say hub, do you mean a router, modem or a real 5-port hub?

Previously I had wireless broadband with Andrews & Arnold using a Netgear Firewall Router. I am now with BT. What BT sent me is a hub. I am using it right now as wireless on my lap top but on my PC it still wouldn't work with the ethernet cable.

I have the product key for the PC in question but no CD

I did find an installation CD but it was for another computer. Can I still use it. I have the product key for it.

Previously I had wireless broadband with Andrews & Arnold using a Netgear Firewall Router. I am now with BT. What BT sent me is a hub. I am using it right now as wireless on my lap top but on my PC it still wouldn't work with the ethernet cable.

A hub is a multi-port repeater, nothing more. If that's what they actually sent you, send it back. You need a modem to take the signal from the wall and turn that into usable computer data. To help us better help you, what's the make and model of this device that you're referring to as a hub?

I have the product key for the PC in question but no CD

I did find an installation CD but it was for another computer. Can I still use it. I have the product key for it.

You may be able to. If the CD says "Dell installation CD" and the computer in question is an HP, for example, then you can't. If it's simply a Windows installation CD then go for it.

Hate it when ISP's recommend a reload. It's such a 'we don't really care and you can figure it out yourself' cop-out.

Please let us try to help before you reload.

Please post the make and model of your "hub" as I'm 99.9999999% sure it's not a hub. More likely its a modem/router combo. If you're connecting to it wirelessly then it's certainly not a hub.

What steps did the ISP tech take you through? Does your laptop work if you plug it in with the ethernet cable? Have you checked the drivers on your desktop? Have you checked for proxy's setup in IE? Have you checked the IP address you're getting? Do you have file sharing setup, and if so are you able to access the files between the desktop and laptop?

Hate it when ISP's recommend a reload. It's such a 'we don't really care and you can figure it out yourself' cop-out.

Please let us try to help before you reload.

Please post the make and model of your "hub" as I'm 99.9999999% sure it's not a hub. More likely its a modem/router combo. If you're connecting to it wirelessly then it's certainly not a hub.

What steps did the ISP tech take you through? Does your laptop work if you plug it in with the ethernet cable? Have you checked the drivers on your desktop? Have you checked for proxy's setup in IE? Have you checked the IP address you're getting? Do you have file sharing setup, and if so are you able to access the files between the desktop and laptop?

Hello Jmacavali,
Phew!! ...too technical for me, sorry. I will try and answer though. I have already re-installed Windows XP and guess what...it didn't work. I didn't need an installation disc. I found a way to install it by going into the i386 file. Anyway, that bit of the problem is solved but I am still to connect to the internet either by wireless or using the ethernet cable. My lap top is quite happy. It's just my desktop computer that is not playing ball. The BT technician talked me through everything and too much to write here. He is going to call me again tomorrow to continue his help.
The make of the 'hub' is not mentioned but it is made in China and what it does say is "BT Home hub 3.0 settings - type B"
I haven't checked the drivers. I don't know what to do about that. I re-installed the mini CD that installs the driver for the 'wireless-G USB 2.0 adaptor'. That's what is says.
I don't have file sharing. That's not something I am bothered about.
I can't answer all your questions, sorry.
I think I need to call out an IT engineer which will cost me money and frankly I am not impressed as BT didn't make it clear that I might have issues. They said it would be easy to install. hah, hah. If you in the USA, BT, by the way, is British Telecommunications.
Many thanks for taking the time to help me. I do appreciate it. I think I can't do it without an IT engineer. Without sitting at my computer, I don't think it can be put right.

I will let you know the outcome.

It's weird that the laptop will connect wirelessly but not the desktop. It sounds as if the driver is not installed properly (especially if you've reinstalled Windows). Ask the BT Tech to see if the drivers are installed properly and if that could be causing the issue. Also since the laptop is working fine, you might have trouble getting them to work too much on it and them saying it's the computer and leaving it up to you to fix would be a typical response (in my opinion). Good luck to you.

I had this trouble last time when I change broadband suppliers. I had to get an IT chap out who took about three days to figure it out. Looks like I am going to have to ask him again but at least he might remember what the problem was and fix it quickly. Hopefully it is the same problem and not a new one.:eek:

woahhhh there...

lets get back to some basics first.

your home hub should have something like 4 network sockets (RJ45 type) and a smaller phone socket (RJ11 type) -I've included the numbers so you can look this up and find pictures if you need.

your home hub should also have some lights on it (labeled 1 - 4?)

Can you... start by disconnecting everything.

The problem appears to be with the computer accessing the home hub over the network.

so start by following these steps.

1)
plug in the home hub to the mains (-don't connect anything else yet)
(does the power light come on, if no, send it back, if yes proceed)

2)
plug the computer into the home hub using a standard straight through cable into port 1 of the hub.
(does one of the connection lights come on [on the hub])
(does the network connection status change on your computer from disconnected to connected on the little icon near the clock?)

3)
If the answer is no to these questions, try using port 2, 3 and 4 in turn.
Also try using a different cable to make sure that the cable is not at fault

4)
if it doesn't work with a different cable, in any port, then there is a good chance that either the hub part of the home hub, or the network card on your PC is faulty.
and since you know that the network card worked with your last supplier, its likely to be the home hub! -so send it back.

If a light does come on, and the computer says connected then the home hub is fine, and the computer is fine.

and the problem lies in network card settings on your computer.

(can you try the above trouble shooting steps and let us know how it goes).

if you don't have the network connectivity icon near to the clock then you can click on start, control panel, network connections, you'll see a small cross on the icon for the network card when it's disconnected, both the icon and the work disconnected should change when the card is connected (even if the card settings need to be changed).

so that's 4 tests.
make sure that the hub has power.
test connectivity to the hub
test different ports in the hub
test different cables in case the cable you have is faulty.

let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom