Well, that's depressing.

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
If you search 'Imagine' on iTunes store, Glee is the top result...

3cd8a33a.png

I'm not 100% sure that they still do this, but iTunes used to artificially inflate the rankings of certain songs made by bands they're "promoting." I'm pretty sure their ranking system isn't the best either, since I've accidentally bought stuff by tribute bands because their songs were ranked higher than the original artist's songs.

Also, there's the fact that Imagine by John Lennon has been out some 30 years now. Yes, it's very popular, but most of the people who like it already have the album. The "glee" version was probably released very recently, which would obviously increase its ranking because everyone who wants it had to buy it at once.

EDIT: 40 years. Wow, I still have a tendency to use 2000 when estimating age.

Personally, I find some covers actually better than the originals.

One glaring example is Blinded by the Light, written and performed by Bruce Springfield; the cover by Manfred Mann is far superior.

I prefer CSN's cover of The Beatles' Blackbird, Millenium's cover of Jane by Jefferson Airplane (or were they just Airplane by then?), CSN's cover of Dear Mr. Fantasy but Traffic, and Coal Chamber's cover (with backup vocals by Ozzie Osbournr) of Shock the Monkey originally written and sung by Peter Gabriel.

That's not what I mean though. I'm talking about random no-name bands who basically do nothing more than try to sound exactly like the band whose songs they are performing. They generally sound like crap though.

And how could you not have All Along the Watchtower on that list? Blasphemy! :p

That's not what I mean though. I'm talking about random no-name bands who basically do nothing more than try to sound exactly like the band whose songs they are performing. They generally sound like crap though.

And how could you not have All Along the Watchtower on that list? Blasphemy! :p

Millenium and Coal Chamber are pretty much no name bands. So would Manfred Mann if it were not for their cover of Blinded...

Yes, I did fail to mention All Along the Watchtower, written and sung by Bob Dylan but better performed by Jimi Hendrix; Dylan is another one of those 'better heard through other's voices' type people.

Back
Top Bottom