Looking for a user-friendly database software

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi there fellas,

I'm in need of a database software that is easy to use. My intentions for using that software is to build a student database with names, contact details, guardian info, subjects and so forth. I would prefer the software to operate offline since the work place has no internet. I'm currently using excel and its not very good since the typing and placing the order is such a hassle. If you can name some software that I can venture that would be great, free software is preferable but if there is a paid that does a real good job then I don't mind buying.

Cheers.

I've looked for free solutions myself and didn't find anything of interest. I did, however, find FileMaker. It's a little pricey so if you download the free version, don't put too much work into a database unless you're willing to purchase the software. The reason I never went for that software was that the file format is proprietary and you can't really do anything with the file once you create the database... at least you can't in the free version.
You said that you're already using excel... why not upgrade to a version of Office that includes Access? The new version, with all it's wizards, can be pretty easy to use. You can create the database, forms to view/search the database and create links to Excel files that export reports for use in charts, graphs, etc.

There's no such thing as a user-friendly database. Excel is the closest thing to that I have found. I use Open Office Base because it is free.

We have Filemaker at work-- pile of crap. At least it is the way my company uses it-- central database with one computer running the DB and others acting as remote clients; the database crashes on a regular basis, it takes forever to load on the computer and you can't do anything else because the splash dominates the window.

We have Filemaker at work-- pile of crap. At least it is the way my company uses it-- central database with one computer running the DB and others acting as remote clients; the database crashes on a regular basis, it takes forever to load on the computer and you can't do anything else because the splash dominates the window.

Interesting... I never really made a large enough database with access to 'stress test' the program. Good to know.

I think the MySql can be declared as the most friendly data base software.I did not find any better data base soft ware better than MySql.But the choice is yours but this one is quite awesome and best.

I think I know your problem.

Excell isn't database software.

try using Access.

Both SQL Server and Mysql are compatible and user friendly. You can get any one of them. If you dont want to spend few more bucks on database then you can opt for Mysql because it is pen source database and you can easily get it from online.

I think I know your problem.

Excell isn't database software.

try using Access.

Yep I know that Excel is not a database software its more of a data analysis software and I use it quite often, the only reason why I'm using it is, its got the cells that you can fill like a form and I do want to get a better software to take over it. Its just currently for temporary use.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I've tried the filemaker trial and I must say it does work but the whole interface looks confusing and there seems to be no way to work around it so I immediately ditched it.

I have heard of OpenOffice, a friend recommemded it for me and it seems to work nicely but I do feel that I need some tutorials for it. I would like to know does Access have better features than OpenOffice? because the price for the package with access is exorbitant and there is no point in buying the upgrade if theyre merely the same, other than that I would stick to OpenOffice and look for tutorials for now.

I also had a look on MySQL and it seems simplistic but I feel its more internet based than offline. Im not sure if thats the case im basing it on reviews and screenshots since its on a web browser and like what I said in the begining theres no internet at the work area since it was opened for a few weeks and the internet signup has been delayed and I would need to process some student information.

I am not a DBA or anything, and my experience in programming databases is limited to hacking existing DBase3, DBase4 and Access DBs and building my own using ooBase (the Access equivalent data base component of Open Office.org suite).

Both ooBase and Access have similar capabilities; MySQL is more powerful, but it is unlikely that you will need that much power for what you want to do.

In my opinion (being more of a hardware guy than programmer), none of it is easy, but there are plenty of tutorials out on the web for ooBase.

Back
Top Bottom