no more Rep?

Rep is a slippery issue-- in the default version, each person giving rep gives a fixed amount based on the value of their own rep.

This leads to exponential growth of rep values (as people rep each other) and (sooner or later) forum leaders abandoning the use of rep as a tool. After all, someone with huge rep can vault a n00b into the middle ranks with one agreement.

There is a mod to the rep system that allows the user to select the amount of rep to give to the person they are agreeing/disagreeing with (I call it dial-a-rep), which mitigates the aforementioned problem.

It's under review.

The members wanted rep. They campained long and hard and they got it.
Now new masters and all gone.
These guys are not going to like that. I know I don't. I had a lot of rep points. Took a while to accumilate them. Now all gone. That's annoying. It's bragging rights. That's all it is. Sure it's a double edged sword but that comes with the turf. I'd turn it back on and just simply lay down the law about it.

These guys are not going to like that. I know I don't. I had a lot of rep points. Took a while to accumilate them. Now all gone. That's annoying. It's bragging rights. That's all it is. Sure it's a double edged sword but that comes with the turf. I'd turn it back on and just simply lay down the law about it.

You misinterpreted Lowndsey's reply... we're not taking your rep away or removing any reputation system.

Rep is a slippery issue-- in the default version, each person giving rep gives a fixed amount based on the value of their own rep.

This leads to exponential growth of rep values (as people rep each other) and (sooner or later) forum leaders abandoning the use of rep as a tool. After all, someone with huge rep can vault a n00b into the middle ranks with one agreement.

There is a mod to the rep system that allows the user to select the amount of rep to give to the person they are agreeing/disagreeing with (I call it dial-a-rep), which mitigates the aforementioned problem.

I believe that you've mentioned this before, and I think it's a good idea. I'm personally for a best answer type system, it makes it easier to see answers for problems in certain threads among other things. And better yet, implementing both systems. But we'll see what the Admins want to do.

Again, when the site was reverted for security reasons, the reputation and values were defaulted to be hidden... not deleted. There was mention of damage to few databases and the extent is still unknown and I am in no position to speak to any of that, but from what I can tell, your reputation should be intact, just not visible. We'll need to be patient while the site is rebuilt to see how the admins want to proceed.

I will rephrase. The style and type of rep system is under review.

I used to enjoy my daily ego boost from getting some rep points. Not sure what to do with myself anymore...

Back
Top Bottom