3-4 seconds between lags...

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
On my EVGA motherboard system that I've had for 4 years now, it has been acting up on and off for the past 6 months. Generally I can play around with it and reset something to get it working again. At first it was my main desktop I played games on. It would start freezing when playing games. I tested the memory and everything checked out ok, but it was still doing it. Swapped out the memory completely with a different set and the problem went away for awhile. I decided to upgrade my main desktop so this desktop got downgraded to HTPC duty. Threw in two 7800GTs in SLI just because I had them lying around. I mainly just watch movies on DVD, Hulu, and Netflix to my TV with it now. I've had it freeze on me a couple times and one time it wouldn't get past POST. Remove the motherboard battery and reset the BIOS and it boots up fine again. Go to today, I was watching a movie on Netflix then went to IMDB on Chrome and all of a sudden Chrome won't go to links I click on and then it starts freezing for 2 seconds every 3-4 seconds. Overall it still works, but it screwed up Chrome and even if it didn't have the lag problem it got really really slow. It was working just fine when I was watching the movie and was nice and quick. Backing up files now, but I know it's got to be the hardware that's the issue. I've done several Windows reinstalls within the past year.

Does this sound like it's time for a new motherboard or what? I have the computer insured under personal property insurance if it comes to having to replace it. I'm going to try to get as much money as I can for a complete new system. Just want a few opinions on it if I can, if for nothing else than to tell the insurance company it's the opinion of several people it's time to replace it.

Sounds like a failing hard drive to me. Of course, it could be any number of things, but hard drive seems most likely. Try replacing it with another drive, or if you don't have one, you can run seagate seatools. It will probably take a while, and it may or may not catch errors. Worth a try though.

I haven't always been using the same hard drive either... I did just reinstall Windows on another hard drive to see if it would solve it for now and it works fine now. I'll test the hard drive later to see if it indeed was the cause for this particular issue. The problem with the computer just freezing and then having to reset BIOS has been happening even before I put that hard drive in the computer. So I think it's just a matter of time before it will do something again. I'll just run it like this for awhile then and see if it decides to keep working right.

Back
Top Bottom