router causes connectivity drops

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have an old belkin basic N wireless router (don't know the exact model) and on my samsung galaxy player the connection drops randomly and on my PCs the connection is quite slow. A while back I noticed it was making a quiet hissing noise and there were no indicator lights except for if I unplugged the internet cable it would blink orange but when connection no lights would come on. I may end up replacing this but what do you think I should do? Is there a fix? or if I replace it what woud be a good N router for under 50$ It just has to cover my dorm room and a little ways down the hall for when I take my galaxy player to the pool room.

If the lights are not working properly when you are having issues then it sounds like a hardware failure. Have you tried power cycling it (unplugging the power for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in)? Does that fix it for a while and then it happens again?

Personally, any router you can find at Wal-Mart for $50 will probably work for what you are doing. I use those for my friends/family who just need wireless internet in their house and they don't have any problems typically.

yes when i cycle off and on the light blinks red for a second then goes blank when it should be green after that. I can access the internet fine as I am right now but it will slow and drop then quickly reconnect but that is enough to cancel any downloads or youtube videos being watched. The range is very poor as well I can walk out my door into the hall and walk about 10 feet then I get no signal. Meanwhile I can connect to a persons wifi down at the other end of the building with 1 bar occasionally 2 bars and it is rock solid even faster than the internet coming from the router in my room.

Back
Top Bottom