please dont lock threads!

If a thread is forgotten about after a year or so just ask the same question again and you will get up to date information.

Threads aren't automatically locked after a certain time, they remain open. If there was any history of constructive information being updated after many months/years then yes maybe I could agree to a certain extent with the OP's point. But the fact of the matter is that 99% of the time, any old thread that is posted in is nothing more than spam and therefore it is then locked. Surely if it was such a big issue us mods would be constantly locking old threads?

Right... I don't see many locked threads on this forum. Argueing about other sites locking threads is going to get you no where here. I do agree with the OP that there is outdated information on MANY forum sites due to locked threads, but that's life. The truth is, and it was stated here many times, you need to post your own specific question that relates directly to you. The testing you have already done, and the progress you are looking to make. If it's something that relates to a customer, you should be getting information, as Root said, from a more reliable source. I'll give you an example here:

Two days ago I needed to set up a POP account in Outlook 2007 for ATT (@att.net). The first couple of hits were old.. maybe it was even the first page of hits. None of them worked. On the SECOND page I found ATTs page about it, the page that was in THEIR FAQs that THEY updated. It had the correct information.

I know most of us will sooner use google to look for even drivers... because usually that points us, firstly, to the manufacturers site, but some times, unfortunatly, it does not. In the even that you get a forum on a problem unrelated to the manufacturer, hopefully you get some good information out of it. If you don't make your own post. I know 9 times out of 10, though, when I google a problem I'll find an answer within 5 minutes...

Just my two cents :) Looks like that's where everyone elses money is too!

-Q

well guyz i just believe in the free flow of information, basically. i believe locking threads is against the free flow of information. locking threads might solve some problems but causes another set of problems. not locking threads solve some problems and might cause another set of problems. so in the end, i lean on not locking threads. for the sake of free information flow.

If you stumble across a thread here that is locked and you have an updated answer, I'm pretty sure that simply sending a Mod a PM with a request to unlock the thread will result in just that. If it's a 4 year old thread and you're posting in it just to ask if it's been solved already, then you can probably expect it to be locked. Best way to deal with this? Just as everyone above has suggested; create a new thread.

well guyz i just believe in the free flow of information, basically. i believe locking threads is against the free flow of information. locking threads might solve some problems but causes another set of problems. not locking threads solve some problems and might cause another set of problems. so in the end, i lean on not locking threads. for the sake of free information flow.

You still haven't proven how it breaks the "free flow of information". If a new thread can be created, the flow of information is not stopped.

If you really need the information just start a new thread.

As a forum owner/admin I have a policy set in place. When a thread reaches a certain age don't post in it any more. Start a new one.
The 2 biggest headaches forum owners have is hackers and spammers. Let's talk spammers. Spammers I have seen here like to pull up old threads and post thier garbage in them. Logic would dictate remove the spam and lock the thread to prevent it being used again. Now when I say old I mean OLD. Years old.
You should have been here for the ATI/nVidia blowouts. They got locked because they had turned in to flat out flame wars. That's a policy no no. So click and that ended that. There's lots of justified reasons to lock threads. They're not deleted so they can be read.
By the way your argument about locked threads also means you haven't bothered to read Da Rules. http://www.computerforums.org/social-lounge/forum-rules-sig-rule-updated-60776.html

Ok I know you've lost the battle but I agree with you to an extent and what seti said pretty much described the end of what I wanted to here.

Sorry bud :eek: no go today

As moderator of some years (not here, but several other venues), I have had the privilege of closing numerous old threads resurrected by people, well-intentioned and not. I'm not talking a few months old, but some threads that were five, six or more years old, discussing technology that is no longer on the market. These threads are good to have for historical purposes, if nothing else, but it is very unlikely that they would need to be brought back to the fore.

With that said, I agree that there are times when an additional bit of information can be added to an older post, and I have resurrected threads by adding links or new fixes to old problems, but those instances, in my experience, are rare.

Back
Top Bottom