Intel i7 950 overheating!

Vivid

Solid State Member
So a few months back I bought the 950 processor from my local microcenter, and put it into my Asus Rampage III Gene MB. I installed the stock cpu heatsink and ran it on stock settings for a few months.

I had it overclocked by about 400mhz for a few weeks before eventually running into some system instability and reset the clock to factory defaults.

Now, however, when doing any type of processor intensive task, there seems to be one core on the cpu that heats up far more than the other cores. I was running 3dmark and Core # 02 was at 63C. The other 3 were sitting around 52-55. Very strange.

My question is this: Do these CPU's have a known heat issue with the stock fan? I assume this is the cause and recently bought this little guy:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

Does anyone have any experience with this heatsink? The reviews look generally good, so I'm hoping this will keep my temps down and that my issues don't stem from a defect with the CPU.

hey i have the same cpu it gets just as hot, these temps are good for stock cooler! i have heard of people getting 110 degrees!!
so untill you get an aftermarket cooler you wont change temps!

yea, those temps are ok while running 3Dmark. I get around 63-65c on my stock cooler. 31-35c idle(depending on ambient air temp)

Back
Top Bottom