Please recommend a video card

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi all,

So I guess it's time to change the video card I've been told, & I tested a video & I couldn't watch it on my desktop as it kept stopping, so clearly it's an issue.

Here are my stats. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jC4uohDbvT41HfnQ13IQvLl

Which video card do you recommend & why?

Nothing too expensive pls.

I am not a gamer, but I do watch some videos online (how can you not, they are all around us).

I'm a netrepreneur, so I'm creating more videos too, but I hire people to do that.

Thanks

Michelle

this is your motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5N-E SLI
and by looking at it I can see that you have PCI-E slots so you can get any modern card for your system.

Are you using on-board graphics now or are you using another video card ?

I would recommend either the 8800GT or the 9800 GT card as these are good all round cards and very affordable. They will play some games on medium/low but you wont need that anyway. Video will be fine unless you are thinking of a dual monitor set-up.

Yeh I was wondering if my video card was part of the MB. I have no clue, but I guess it is. Hmm, I hired some local guy to look at my computer when it went dead & he pulled out the video card, so how could he have pulled it out if it's attached to the MB???

No, I don't use more than one monitor.

What brand for those stats you gave me?

Someone recommended these 2...

Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card 100322L

or

GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3

On Amazon the Sapphire is much cheaper, but it only got one review which was 3 star & I don't even understand what they said.

Gigabyte has a lot more reviews & 4 stars, so I'm confused.

Thanks

Michelle

Well I am using a GIGABYTE GTX 460 right now (Cost me about £120) and have had it just over a year with no temperature issues what so ever. Its a brilliant card for the money and runs every game I have at max settings. (Even BF3).

Before i had that one i had a PNY Nvidia 9800 GT which also served me well.

It all depends on what company you are going to take (Nvidia or ATI). Personally as you can see i favour Nvidia however some people will argue ATI. Thats up to you.

A good website to get a rough idea on the ranking is PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List

You can search a card and it will tell you what ranking it is from something like 500 + being a crap card to number 1 being the best card to date.

Currently the one you have suggested sits at position 332 whereas the 9800 GT sits at 119. My card im using now sits at 28.

Dont use this to make your choice as their are other factors to include such as speeds and RAM sizes and brands.

It better to buy GTX 560. if you buy 9800GT or anything they will be outdated after 1year... bcoz now a days each game comes to market with high end graphics. So if u buy any GTX model graphic card it will good for future use.

It better to buy GTX 560. if you buy 9800GT or anything they will be outdated after 1year... bcoz now a days each game comes to market with high end graphics. So if u buy any GTX model graphic card it will good for future use.

They want a budget card not for gaming, just video.

They want a budget card not for gaming, just video.

Thanks for being able to read simple English. I really have issues with people who can't read.

But I don't really like your term "budget" LOL, it makes it sound like I want the cheap end of something.

Someone from another forum just told me I need to give them the make/model of my power supply as that is a determining factor. Is that true?

Michelle

Yes that is true. If you go for something too fancy then you will need to use a 6 pin power cable from the power suply to help power the card. With my old 9800 GT there was no need for this external power, it all ran from the power on the PCI-E slot. Now I have my GTX 460 I use the relevent power cables to give the card the extra power it needs.

Also you need to have enough power to power the whole machine. If you bought it from a shop already built then your more than likely going to have a fairly small amount of power coming from the power supply (Just enough to power the system). The output on the power supply is measured in Watts. A card that Does not use any exrta power from the PSU can be about 100W + of power whereas a card that does need extra power will need more. You can visit this website Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator to get an estimate on how much power your system is using and how much it would be if you upgrade your graphics. Use you stats to help Stats .

On top of that you have the Amps and the 12v rail requirements however if you have a decent brand of power supply then your dont normally have to worry about this.

Im guessing that yours is one that was in the system when you got it. Take a look and report back the Watts and the brand of your PSU.

Back
Top Bottom