Hardware vs software crossfiring??

Dragonslayer1

Baseband Member
Hey I just got a graphics card and its nice but it is a little less than perfect. I am considering just crossfiring it with another one. However I checked on the box and it said that it was a software crossfire. Im confused as to how that works. Does it show up as two different cards or one 2 gig card. And secondly is there anything I have to do to configure it on windows 7? Please help

Its an HD 4670 1 gig card by the way just realized I never posted what it was. Im debating wether or not to get a new one and crossfire or just replace it.

when you're joining two pieces of hardware together, the best way to do it is with a hardware connection. In this case, an SLI/Crossfire bridge.

They will show up as two seperate cards in device manager, Xfire/SLI configuration will be within the Catalyst software center downloadable from AMD's website. I can't imagine how or why It would be referred to as a software crossfire, I didn't know that existed. I know you can do Hybrid crossfire (an expander card working alongside onboard graphics) but not 'software crossfire'.

Ya I didnt think so either but there is no sli bridge on the card. Idk mabey I should just get a new card

Yes, you can run Software based CrossFire / SLI on select lower powered video cards from both nVidia and AMD. The solution isn't as fast (in some cases) as the hardware bridge method, but it does indeed work. I haven't toyed with it myself, but I've seen reviews online that show the benefits.

Keep in mind the CrossFire setup will only be as fast as your slowest card. As long as the chipsets are the same, memory amount won't matter too much for monitors under 27"

Back
Top Bottom