Upgrading PC motherboard/cpu

ryby23

Solid State Member
Hey all,

I currently am running an AMD 955 black edition processor and would like to updgrad to an intel sandy bridge. I use my computer primarily for games and I overclock my cpu and gpu.

I was thinking about getting an i5 2500k with a Asus P67 Deluxe motherboard. I would also eventually be upgrading mu GPU to a 560 TI later down the line. I am currently playing skyrim and battlefield 3. Any thoughts about these upgrades? any better mobo's/cpu's/gpu's to get?

I am trying to keep the upgrades under $1000 but dont need the top of the line hardware, just something that will last for a couple years.

Thanks!

sorry can't help on upgrades as I don't currently keep up with the new stuff.. besides that is skyrim any good? I am buying an xbox in a few days along with skyrim, just wanted a quick answer from you if you can please.

O and the 560 is a great choice, I heard in some site that a 560 is a really kick ass card.. so sounds a good one to me, better then the 580 is it? someone said that anyway but i don't keep up to date sorry

Well to give you a short answer, skyrim is amazing!! definitely worth buying. I have played over 70 hours in the first two weeks while some of my friends are well over 100 hours already.

If you are upgrading your motherboard too, here are my suggestions.

Processor (Six Core, 3.4 GHZ)

Motherboard (32GB RAM, CrossFire Compatibility)

1000 dollars is a lot. Spouting out money is not always the way to go. Of course, a 100 dollar mobo will never be as good as any mobo that is marked at 300. But you want to get your moneys worth. Skyrim and BF3 will run smoothly on that processor. Now you need to worry about graphics and ram.

Oy... misinformation abounds here...

There's no way that the Six core AMD in Deagonx's reply will be better than the i5, and I have to wonder how someone who "knows nothing about recent hardware" still manages to recommend a video card that could barely play Skyrim on "low" settings.

That being said ryby... here's my suggestion:

Get the i5 CPU. Don't pair it with a P67 motherboard, instead opt for a Z68 based board instead. More features, better performance, more recent model.

As for the video card, get as much as you can afford after the CPU & Motherboard.

The 560 Ti will be an "ok" board to play Skyrim and other new games. I feel that you should look to getting into a GTX 570 if you can wing it - just be sure your power supply is up to the task. The i5 + 570 GPU are killer combinations.

og you're ignorant here is the evidence, I do read other forums and it brings it to my intention since the subject was on behalf of skyrim aswell:
Best card for BF3 and Skyrim?

Read down

LOL @ recommendations...GTX 580 has the worst price/performance ratio besides the dual GPU cards.

Your best bet would be the GTX 560 or HD6950. If these cards can't max out Battlefield 3 or Skyrim I'm not sure how well that's gonna go for the developers.

What is your problem with me you've already gave me bad rep for posting something I thought was funny at the time, a random speech, ahh I have done nothing wrong for that .. what's your problem.. I don't want a fuss over it this being my last words, I will still read after but I'm not drawing attention so I will withdrew from this thread, hope my link helped.

I wouldn't speak like that to OG. He knows his stuff, 620 rep? I don't think he has ever given bad advice. Decline if you want, but don't be rude.

og you're ignorant here is the evidence, I do read other forums and it brings it to my intention since the subject was on behalf of skyrim aswell:
Best card for BF3 and Skyrim?

Posting references to other folks on webforums is a great way to boost your image on the subject. Good luck with that. :)

I said the 560 Ti will be "OK". More than likely users will upgrade their monitors at some point, pushing more pixels, requiring more out of a video card. I don't give "point of concern" advice. I give "down the road" advice and try to consider everyone each time I hit reply. I'm sorry you seem to have an issue with me, but going about it in a public way on a forum is childish, and I hate being put into that situation.

You are entitled to your opinion, but coming after me about it is rude.

thanks for the advice guys. I think i am going to go with the i5 over the amd processor, but thanks for the suggestion. As for mobo's if was researching the ASUS Z68 V Pro/Gen3. What do you think about that? or is the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 better? The reason for the Gen3 is for a little future proofing and also because for the Asus it is only $5 more than the regular Z68 V Pro.... I know ASRocks mobo is cheaper but i have some mixed feelings about them after using the 880gtx in my current build. Thoughts?

P.S- i also just found out i have one stick of bad memory.... dont know how that happened but computer is only registering 2gb out of 4gb lol.

ASRock, for the record, is Asus's value brand. They are almost identical in workmanship. I've actually had better luck with ASRock boards over the past few years, go figure. :)

I think the ASRock would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom