Need advice on Upgrading my PC

jbowman

Solid State Member
I've included my system specs. I've had this desktop for 4-5 years and I want better performance out of my gaming particularly my FPS. I dont want to pay for a whole new system and I can put the equipment in myself. I'd appreciate some opinions, thank you

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type:
AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor
CPU Speed:
2.22 GHz
System Memory:
3 GB
Video Card Model:
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Video Card Memory:
1.48 GB
Video Card Driver:
nvd3dum.dll

A few things:
A wonderful program for getting the specs on your computer is CPU-Z. It gives you the Memory, the type of memory, the CPU speed and model, etc. etc. etc. I'm suggesting this because not all of your components are listed.

The one problem I can see is that your CPU is only 2.22 Gigahertz. If this is a 5 year old system I can understand why its crapping out, but don't get me wrong you have an efficient amount of video memory and RAM. Your CPU is bringing you down.

Now, from what you have given me I do not know the AMD socket that your motherboard uses. It is probably AM2, but I cannot be certain.

Here is the link to the CPU-Z. Get back to me with the socket (it's on the first tab.) and I can reccomend an efficient Processor

Hope this is more than enough

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name AMD Phenom X4 9500
Codename Agena
Specification AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor
Package Socket AM2+ (940)
CPUID F.2.2
Extended CPUID 10.2
Brand ID 10
Core Stepping DR-B2
Technology 65 nm
TDP Limit 95 Watts
Core Speed 1105.1 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 5.5 x 200.9 MHz
HT Link speed 1004.6 MHz
Stock frequency 2200 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V
L1 Data cache 4 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 4 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache 2 MBytes, 32-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 5.5x - 11.0x
Max VID 1.250 V
P-State FID 0x6 - VID 0x18 - IDD 19 (11.00x - 1.250 V)
P-State FID 0x106 - VID 0x28 - IDD 14 (5.50x - 1.050 V)

Package Type 0x1
Model 95
String 1 0x2
String 2 0x0
Page 0x0
CmpCap 4
ApicIdCoreSize 4
TDC Limit 76 Amps

Ahh, so it was AM2. AM2+ is an older socket, but still relevant enough to get a good replacement.

Looked around, here is a link to a decent replacement.

You'll get better recommendation than mine, most likely. I'm no computer guru, but I hope I helped you enough to make an informed decision.

Thanks I appreciate the advice, is it a much better replacement of the current processor? I'd like to hear other peoples opinions. Maybe build my own system if its affordable, never done a full system just partial upgrades here and there but I'm on layoff so I may not want to make that investment.

.5 GZ more Cycle Speed is quite a large advancement. There are some things yours have over the one I picked. Yours is quad core, mine is dual-core. It can be a major difference, but when I looked I was airing on a budget build.

If money is not an object, there are some for 130-170 substantially better than the one I picked, if you want me to look.

150 wouldnt be a back breaker if the rest of my system good enough as is to bring my gaming experience up to par. i get like 20 fps on alot of games on the lower video settings

Alright, I looked at around 150, and I didn't mean to go so high but this one was pretty phenomenal. 3 Gigahertz, Quad Core.

AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X4 3 GHz Processor

This is the best of the best under 200 as far as AM2+ goes. Get this and you are set.

Though, at 3 GB of RAM, you might want to upgrade that aswell. My computer never uses much more than 2.14 of my RAM, but for save measure you might want to go for 6.

will that scan aplication tell me how many slots i have for ram and how much i can upgrade to? also if i get the processor can i just put it in the socket and ill be good to go or would i have to do some other things to have it ready?

It will tell you how many ram slots you have. It will not tell you what your Motherboard's max is.

To replace the CPU as a chip, you must take off the heat sink, (the metal object that absorbs all the CPU and Mobo's excess heat) and pull up a lever holding in the CPU. From there you take out the old, and put in the new. Put back on the heatsink, and apply a thermal compound so there is contact between the two.

If you are unfamiliar, I highly advise you have someone do it for you. The consequences of forgetting something may cost you 180 dollars.

Regards, Deagonx.

Back
Top Bottom