Control electronics with my computer

AnnihilationRob

Baseband Member
This is a pretty crazy question that bridges a lot of areas so I have no idea where this belongs in the forum. Not only would I like to control some household electronics with my computer (turn a lamp on and off when I press a key on my keyboard, for instance), but I would like to do it remotely over the internet. Basically, it would be cool if I could bring my laptop with me on vacation, and use it to turn lights and other electronics on and off back at my home. I'm sure I'd have to leave another machine on at my house that was connected to the various things I'd like to control. Is this possible? What kind of software would I need to make this happen? I know there are systems out there for home security which aren't quite what I'm after, but perhaps there is something similar I don't know about?

Lol ya its pretty nuts. What strollin posted isn't quite what I'm after but it sort of shows that the technology to do this is out there at least.

If you're pretty good with Linux and is willing to spend some time on it, try LinuxMCE.

Back
Top Bottom